Tuesday, September 02, 2008

catching up

I'm lucky that my week vacationing on Long Island was relaxing and uneventful, because I came back to Texas on Saturday night and it has been nonstop action ever since. Between celebrating Labor Day with beers and veggie dogs, preparing for Hurricane Gustav by stocking up on wine and dog food, and working to meet a huge deadline at work, things have been hectic, to say the least. And yet, I've still found time to entertain an episode of unforgiving self-doubt and a minor crisis of self-esteem. For a Leo with an ego the size of the sun, this is a disappointing turn of events.

But! I'm not here to wallow. I'm here to quickly update y'all on my Weekly Resolutions and make a few new ones. Even in the face of Gustav's admittedly weak East Texas performance, we all must strive to be better, kinder people.

Last week was my usual show of so-so. I made a vegan meal for my family, which was an interesting experience. I started my Mac tutorial, and you know that first step is always the hardest. I did not convince my Mom to do yoga with me, not even once, but I did have a good talk about fitness and health with my youngest sister, so that was a positive thing. And now I am back home and ready to dive into a new semester, fight off a pending hurricane, and restore my ego to its proper place in the sun. Thus, my resolutions:

1. Check out the new aerobics classes at the Rec Center and make an exercise schedule that I can stick to. This will include yoga and aerobics. I also need to start running again, considering I haven't done anything more than dash towards the computer and/or coffee maker since June. And! Nathan is getting a new bicycle next week, and we're going to start riding the trails around town. Lots of exercise! Lots of fun!

2. Experiment with writing schedules and find one that works for me. Are you noticing a theme here? This week is about getting organized and seeing how I can best fit in all the things I like to do. Writing is at the top of that list, especially since finishing Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott, which was a hotbed of inspiration. So do I want to wake early and write in the morning? Or write for an hour at night, after dinner? Should I shoot for a daily word count or log a certain number of hours each week? I aim to find out.

3. Unsubscribe from some blogs in Google Reader. I am often overwhelmed by all the unread posts in my Reader account, and find myself skimming through the bulk of them. I need to read less blogs, and become a better reader of the ones that I keep. Don't worry - if you're a person that I 1. know in real life or 2. have communicated with on a personal level, your blog is safe. All of you crafty/cooking/political blogs? Fair game.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you're back! Hope your trip was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you on #3. Now that I have a job that keeps me busy, the posts pile up. ...and I'm glad that Gustav missed both of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that I'm not the only one. My reader was out of control!

    I miss those trails sometimes. Everyone is on the trails here, so I can't sing to my ipod without looking like a crazy lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. whew. that was a close one. i don't have internet access at the moment and keep my blog updated...but please don't give me the old delete. it would break my blog's heart :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm glad that gustav missed us too, catazon. i'm glad the new job is going well!

    kb, i try to channel you on the trails, but you're a lot to live up to. gotta work on my skillz.

    and no fear, bobbie! your blog remains at the top of my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete