Tuesday, September 30, 2008

happy new year!

Last night Nathan and I went to a potluck hosted and attended by graduate students of various scientific backgrounds. I didn't really know anyone besides Nathan, nor do I have much to add to conversations about classes, homework, professors, and genus names, but the people were kind enough and the hosts had one really cool dog and one really adorable puppy. I love puppies. Whenever I see one, with its goofy face and clumsy legs and tiny teeth and soft belly, I get this swelling in my chest, like my heart is going to positively implode, because puppies are just so fucking CUTE and I want another one SO BADLY. After I calmed down enough to pet the dogs without having a maternal meltdown, I drank my beers, ate some good food, and pwned the Wii Fit Hula Hoop game.

One of the women at the party was Jewish, and since last night was Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish new year for those of you not in the know) she kicked off the night with a little ceremony. She lit some candles, read some Hebrew prayers, described the symbolism of the holiday to us, and then we all tore pieces off a loaf of challah, dipped the bread in honey, and wished her a happy new year. It was cool. I was raised Roman Catholic and grew up on Long Island, and when I was a kid I kind of assumed there were two religions - Catholicism and Judaism. It made sense, since everyone I knew was either Catholic or Jewish. Obviously, I no longer think like that (especially living in Texas, where I lose count of the Christian denominations pretty quickly). And while I no longer consider myself Catholic or even religious, part of me has always been fascinated with the Jewish faith. I don't really know where this is going, so I will end it by saying that I was glad to have the chance to learn something about Rosh Hashanah, I wish there was a more diverse representation of religions in East Texas, and god, how awesome would it be to have a diner where I could order challah French toast anytime I wanted? Really awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment