Wednesday, September 17, 2008

power hungry & resolved

We're currently going on day five with no power, and truly it's not so bad. Sure, I miss hot showers and cold beers, but other than that, we're doing fine with lots of candles and our two burner stove. I think Nathan is secretly hoping our power never comes back on - he likes being off the grid and practicing his survival skills. And considering there is still a giant tree lying across our apartment's transformer and torn down power lines, I'll guess we still have a while to go.

In other news, I forgot to report on my Weekly Resolutions. What, did you think a mere hurricane was going to keep me from achieving my personal goals? Ha! As a matter of fact, it only kept me from one goal, and that was more due to laziness than anything else. Take that, Ike.


As for last week's resolutions - I managed to write 2,885 words, which definitely beats my previous week's count of 1,996. I am finding it easier to write lately, and I'm thinking it has something to do with actually trying. Also, NaNoWriMo is in less than two months and I'm looking at this as some preliminary training. I also cleaned out and organized my closet, because that was something easily accomplished while I was electricity-less. I did not paint my sewing machine case because I was lazy, and I don't feel bad about it either.

For this week, my goals are pretty simple and straight-forward.

1. Start the 100 Pushup Challenge! Pretty self-explanatory, and this will be a good way to increase my upper body strength. Currently I have none, so there is no where to go but up!

2. Finish current story and write 3,000 words. I think 3K a week is a perfectly manageable goal. Let's see if I'm right.

3. Go for a two mile run. I haven't been running since June, and I need to start training again - especially since I want to do a duathlon with Nathan in February and it would be nice to not die during said race.

Cooking and crafty goals will resume once my power is back. Until then, I plan on being unplugged and productive!

5 comments:

  1. I'm on week two of the push-up challenge. Be ready for some strange places on your body to be sore. I thought I was in good shape. I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...I'm so sorry to hear you are still without power. We got ours back yesterday evening, but everything is still weird down here. I'm amazed you can be productive during this time, but then you don't have a 5-year-old to entertain either. Fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh i know a push up trick. start by doing them on stairs or against a counter. you'll be able to do more reps that way (instead of giving up because you can't do any) & then you can move on to flat on the floor. that's how i taught myself to be able to do them in high school.
    -finn

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm on second week of hundred pushups too!

    so far it's still a little easy but it's about to get harder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the push up encouragements! I started this morning and did... all right. I may have to do a few using Finn's trick, but I figure something is certainly better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete