Monday, October 20, 2008

18 and 19 on the weekend

The other day one of our student workers asked me what I do with all my time, now that I'm not in school and do not have homework and tests with which to contend. "Well," I told him gently, "there are these things you might have forgotten about while you've been at school. They're called hobbies." That said, I ended up with a super busy weekend which left no time for sewing or writing or baking or reading or bicycle riding. Oh, well. I still managed to have a few adventures and spend quality time with some good friends.


On Saturday, Nathan and I were performing in a yoga/dance/art show. We were in the yoga segment and had a short partner-yoga solo bit. We got our routine about two weeks ago, but only started really practicing it on Friday. Naturally, this led to frayed nerves, pointed accusations about who was breathing too fast or too slow, and a whole lot of tension. Luckily, we were able to make it through our routine with the exception of one minor mistake which, I am told, was not even noticeable. Once our part was over, we drank too much wine, enjoyed the rest of the performances, and added "partner yoga performances" to the list of things we can no longer do together, right next to "canoeing." By the end of the evening, I was able to say it had been a good night, and that's all that counts. As proof, here is photo nineteen, which was taken before the performance when I was trying to stay calm and happy. Namaste!


On Sunday, we woke up early and headed out to the CSA farm, where we were volunteering as part of our agreement. By paying money and working for free, and we get a basket of organic, local vegetables once a week. Sometimes - say, for example, when I am hunched over freshly fertilized beds for four hours at a time, planting onion and garlic bulbs while my lower back and upper legs scream in pain - I wonder if this is really such a good bargain. Other times - for instance, when I am cradling a gorgeous Japanese eggplant or breathing in the mouth-watering smell of fresh, delicious basil - I can think of nothing better.

Later that day, once we had recovered from our farming adventure, Sonnie came over to help me dye my hair. Then Mary came over to help us drink a pot of coffee. Then David showed up to help Nathan remove our old oven and cut away some cabinet space to make room for our new, bigger oven (arriving this week!). Then Amy came over because why not? I made extra coffee and shared homemade pickles from the CSA farm, and we played a whole lot of Dr. Mario, during which Sonnie showed me that I am not as good at that game as I thought. I was humbled, but at least my hair looked good.


Photo number Nineteen - the Before. After will obviously be Photo Twenty. This is known as SUSPENSE.

3 comments:

  1. Working at the CSA farm sounds like a great idea, if there were a similar scheme near where I am, I'd be putting my name down instantly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about CSA's and wanted desperately to join one. Luckily, my farm started up last year so I got my wish! It's a good way to support local businesses, encourage local and organic eating, and get closer to your food. Literally. You have to pretty close to plant a thousand onion bulbs. :)

    ReplyDelete