Tuesday, October 28, 2008

twenty-eight

Last night I went to yoga class. It was a good class - a lot of movement and all my favorite strength-building poses. Before we started, my instructor (and friend!) told us that we could dedicate our practice to someone - a friend who needed strength, a family member who inspired us. I decided to dedicate the evening to Barack Obama. I'm not saying that a few sun salutations could tip this election in Obama's favor, but at the very least it couldn't hurt.

And so was it a coincidence that last night, for the first time in my six or so years of semi-regularly practicing yoga, I was finally able to get into a full wheel pose? I have never even come close to this pose before - my arms would buckle, my weight would throw me off my balance, I'd get nervous and picture falling on my neck - basically, I would become immobilized by the thought of somehow accidentally twisting into my own terrible death. And yet. And yet! Last night, before I even had time to think about what my body was doing, I found my arms pushing up, my hips lifting up, and myself holding myself in a perfect full wheel. It was amazing! It was triumphant! It was me, yes, but maybe, just maybe, it was also a little bit of Barack Obama.


Oh, and for those of you who demanded MORE CUPCAKE! Don't say I never did anything for you. Or that Nathan and Seamus never did anything for you.


8 comments:

  1. Glad you see you all sharing that cupcake ;)

    Very happy, having had more cupcake. I needed that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never knew doing that back bend counted as a yoga move. :)

    and nathan and seamus look smashing in cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa--I never thought I'd choose any other photos over Seamus in a cupcake hat, but Nathan in a cupcake hat is the best picture I have seen this week--and I have seen some good ones. Bravo to all! Also--congrats on the pose! I like that just the name of it is very Obama like--circular and progressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed by your flexibility and the marvelous cupcake hat!

    Plus I tagged you in a meme:
    http://lifeofbridey.com/2008/10/random-facts.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. what's a meme?

    I hated that pose at first. Now I love it! Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh nice! That's one of my favorite yoga poses :) And yah, that cupcake hat totally made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture of nathan might be the best thing ever.

    Well done, Texas. Well done.

    Abby

    ReplyDelete