Friday, November 21, 2008

happy


On Wednesday, I skipped yoga in order to go rock climbing at the Rec Center with some friends. Upon our arrival, we found out the rock wall was closed for a competition this weekend. Fine. We decided to play racquetball instead, only to find that all the courts were full and reserved for every hour until closing time. Sigh. I thought I might still make it to yoga after all, but class had already started by then and it seemed the only thing left to do was go home, open a beer, and bake a batch of Kealy's awesome vegan chocolate chip cookies. Which I did. And which were awesome, as usual.

Wednesday's snafu aside, the last week has been surprisingly productive, and I feel a renewed sense of energy about a lot of things. I can now run a mile in just under nine minutes. I am getting up early to write regularly on a regular basis, and I think this time the habit will not be November-specific. I am very close to enrolling in a writing workshop at SFA for the spring semester - the professor already gave me permission to take the class and now all I have to do is navigate the frustrating shuffle that marks all university proceedings. My apartment is clean and organized, I'm reading the Golden Notebook, drinking less coffee, and mailing postcards again, I'm helping to write two scholarly articles at work which don't entirely suck, and I generally feel on top of things, engaged in meaningful and enjoyable activities, and hopeful and positive about our collective future.

Maybe it's the lingering Obama buzz. Maybe it's cozy nights in as the weather finally cools down. Maybe it's having plans and dreams and making strides - small and large - towards realizing those plans and dreams. I don't know, and I'm okay with that. Who am I to question happiness?

8 comments:

  1. Good for you :) Sounds like things are going brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is inspiring. Under 9 minutes? Rockin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have I told you how much I love seeing my name on your blog? AND .... those cookies are the best vegan and nonvegan chocolate cookies ever! Toot-toot (me tooting my own horn). ;-)

    Happy is nice. I feel it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those cookies bare no resemblance to the vegan chocolate biscuits of yesteryear! I'm so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, i'm really starting to get a hang of the whole cooking thing. who would have known?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely and lovely! Those cookies look wicked yummy, nearly as yummy as if they included butter and such :D

    ReplyDelete