Tuesday, November 11, 2008

#nanowrimo update

It's November, which means I've been busy at work since the first on my yearly novel. I haven't blogged much about my progress this year and I'm not sure why. Maybe I finally realized that after 4 years of taking part in this challenge, it's really only fascinating to me? But just in case I'm wrong on that account, here is a NaNoWriMo update.

I am currently behind on my word count, but not by much. Considering I spend most of every November behind on my word count, I am not concerned and confident that I'll catch up with time to spare. This year, I placed my story in the Mainstream Fiction category, which is a first for me. I usually default to Literary Fiction because I am a snob, but this year felt like a good time to take myself less seriously.

At 13,000 words, my novel is so far a family drama that centers on adult twins - Josie and Will. Their mother has recently died and Josie travels home for the first time in seven years for the funeral with her seven year old daughter that no one in her family knows about. When she returns home, she finds out she's not the only one with secrets to reveal - it turns out her mother died of an apparent overdose and her brother is gay and in a long term relationship with an old family friend named Ben. Ben just so happens to be the father of Josie's daughter, but this has not been revealed to anyone yet - not even Ben. (I'm not quite sure how that is going to work yet.) Originally, I envisioned a story that just got more and more surreal and ridiculous as it progressed, and so far I seem to be accomplishing that not-so-lofty goal.

So far, the writing has come pretty easily - I can sit down and drop 2,000 words with little effort and this is definitely a nice change from the days I would slave over every letter and worry each incidence of punctuation. I seem to be getting better at longer works, which is good. On the other hand, my plot is not developed enough, my characters talk too much, I have not written one sex scene yet, and at the rate I'm going everything will be resolved before I'm half way to 50K. Not so good. I think I might do a big flashback to seven or eight years earlier - that seems like the only plausible way to explain how my characters got to where they are without going all exposition crazy.

How are all my NaNo comrades doing? Feel free to leave your progress, war stories, anecdotes and advice in the comments!

9 comments:

  1. I can't do it! I've been working on crafts instead of writing. Oh well... if I'm going to procrastinate at least it's on something cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I totally want to read this book. I salute its mainstream-ness. (Twilight anyone?) Whose pov is it told from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. quality crafting is the ONLY excuse for slacking on quantity writing. :)

    and mary t - i believe the prize for finishing 50k this year is one free copy of your book, printed and bound, which sounds too good to be true. but if it IS true, then perhaps i'll let you read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drama, drama, drama! I want to read it too!

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, and the POV is third person omniscient, but mostly goes back and forth between josie and will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool, i'd been wondering about your novel. hearing about the progress is fascinating to me, but maybe that's only 'cause i'm a rookie.

    -finn

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm glad someone is fascinated. i have much enjoyed your progress updates! they remind me keep writing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds intriguing!

    My back up plan in case my novel is short is to pull a Dallas - have one of the characters wake up and realise the first part of the story is just a dream and then start on a new story...

    I'll be waiting eagerly to hear how your story progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have yet to read one of your sex scenes. Get to it and let me read it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete