Monday, November 24, 2008

one step forward

Weekend highlights:

+ Breaking 40k for NaNoWriMo. Only 10,000 words to go!

+ Mountain biking on the Raider trails in town. I fell off my bike once and hit two trees, but other than that I had a ton of fun. Okay, I can't lie. Getting knocked around was part of the fun. Biking on the trails reminds me of roller derby - I am on wheels, I am wearing a helmet, and I could hit the ground at any moment. Also, I get braver every time we go riding, which means I also get better at riding. Exciting!

+ Going out for drinks with friends! Our friends who have two little babies had a kid-free weekend, and we went out for Grown Up Time. I drank gin and tonics at the bar, which is a nice change from drinking beer on my couch, and pretended to be an adult.

+ Sewing, sewing, sewing. I finished a project for a friend's birthday, but I can't post pictures until I give it to her. ;-)

+ Potato leek soup. Possibly the best soup ever, which is why I make it almost every weekend.

I haven't made any Weekly Resolutions in a while, and thought that now might be a good time. Mostly because I already have goals and I might as well share them with y'all. So...

1. Finish my novel for NaNoWriMo 2008. Ten thousand words is not so much.

2. Bake a pie from scratch. This is number 62 on my 101 list, and seeing as Thanksgiving is this week, it seems a prudent time to make my first attempt. (I'm going for apple, in case you were wondering.)

3. Figure out Xmas shopping and crafting, and get to it. I hate Christmas, but that doesn't mean I don't give and accept gifts. I would like to either make my gifts myself or get them from handmade places (like Etsy), and if that is going to happen in a timely fashion, I need to be... uh... timely. Basically, I need a plan, and by the end of this week I intend to have one.

That is all.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for generous comment at my blog, chrissy. it made my day.

    and for your xmas shopping needs, please check out my friend's blog at http://www.maplecorners.com/

    she raises alpacas and llamas and spins, dyes, felts, knits, etc. their fiber. it's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're welcome! and thanks for the link - i'll definitely check out your friend's stuff. i have a lot of friends who knit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So why is baking a pie from scratch on your list? Directly below this post is a great picture of some very yummy looking cookies - and it's not like that's the first one; you're always posting pictures of the treats you make. So I guess my question is, what makes a pie baked from scratch more significant than cookies or other treats baked from scratch? Personally, I think cookies are tougher than pies anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know. Pies just seem really hard to me - there is crust involved! And a rolling pin! Maybe I'm building it up too much in my head, or maybe it's just the allure of the unknown. I am glad to know that you think cookies are harder - they're pretty easy for me (well, the two or three recipes that I like to use are easy) so maybe pies won't be as tough as I'm thinking. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete