Tuesday, December 23, 2008

checking in

Oh my god, it's cold in Illinois. I'm talking "highs" of two degrees and buckets of sleet and rain cold. Seamus tried to bound out the back door of Nathan's parents' house (aka the in-theory-laws) and promptly skidded five feet across the icy porch and into the frozen grass. He was confused and afraid, and all we could do was laugh. More proof that we would make terrible parents.

In case you can't tell, we made it to Illinois in one piece. The Kentucky detour went off without a hitch, and we even snagged free tickets for a tour of Mammoth Cave from one of Nathan's summer buddies. The Cave contains over 360 miles of tunnels - we only trekked along two of those miles, making our way to over 300 feet below the surface of the earth! A very cool experience.

We got to Illinois on Saturday evening, and since then we're played a lot of games (Scrabble, Rummikub, Boggle, Ping Pong), listened to horrible contemporary Christmas music, worn multiple layers of clothing, avoided going outside for any reason, and consumed far too much coffee. We are doing Christmas tomorrow instead of on Thursday, which is okay, I guess. I'm feeling a little homesick for my own dysfunctional family and all our own traditions (both happy and miserable) but hey - that's what happens when you're in a long term relationship and your families live in different parts of the country from you and from each other. I usually complain about Texas being too big, and now I'm thinking the US could stand to be a bit smaller as well.

But now this sounds like a sad blog post, and it's not. I'm having a very good time here in the middle of America. I love my in-theory-laws, and I'm looking forward to eating good food and opening presents tomorrow. Seamus might see his second snowfall while we're here (fingers crossed!) and truly - there is no point in wishing for anything other than a fire in the hearth, a glass of wine in your hand, your boy at your side and your dog at your feet, all of which I am enjoying right now. I miss you all, and hope that your evenings are just as nice.

3 comments:

  1. So great to hear from you! Enjoy the cold and find some peace in the snow :)

    xxoo

    Thanks for the card. The cats ate it the other day. They loved it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "He was confused and afraid, and all we could do was laugh. More proof that we would make terrible parents."

    -HAHA

    "played a lot of games (Scrabble, Rummikub, Boggle, Ping Pong)"

    -here at my in-theory-laws it's been boggle, charades, team foosball, and some "apples to apples" party game with my little (in theory) sisters' reversed rules version: "selppa ot selppa".

    "avoided going outside for any reason"

    -we're experiencing this too...it's been strange. but that is the custom here in the far reaches of LA's sprawling wildernesslessness.

    be well buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wildernesslessness! i like that.

    ReplyDelete