Monday, December 29, 2008

oh nine!

Here are my resolutions for 2009.

1. Read a minimum of 25 books.
I am not a slow reader, but I am a busy person. And yet, when I used to review books for a certain now defunct local magazine, I somehow found the time to read three books each month! And that was on top of grad school, and roller derby, and regular life. And while I've found new interests and hobbies to replace grad school and roller derby, I'm still certain that I can find the time to read at least 2.2 books per month.

2. Run a half marathon.
I conquered the 5K in 2008. I'm currently training for a 10K. I think a year is more than enough time to master the art of running 13.1 miles, don't you?

3. Get finances under control.
Create a budget (currently working on this) and stick to it. Live as simply as possible for however long it takes to pay off my credit card, and then simply for a while longer in order to save up a fair amount of money.

4. Write.
I always have a writing goal, and it is usually something like "Write a novel." Well, this year I'm not going to resolve to write a novel. I am simply going to resolve to write, regularly, possibly every day. Will I actually write every day? Probably not. Will I write most days? I hope so. I plan so. I'm feeling good about this up-coming year - my life is pretty steady and balanced, I'm more disciplined than ever before, and I have my priorities in check. This is the year to produce, and I'm ready to make 2009 proud.

5. Be More.
What does this mean? I'm not sure, but lately I've had this feeling that I'm doing a lot of things half way. Living my beliefs just enough. Following my heart as much as is convenient. I would like to dedicate 2009 to the idea that I can be what I want, do what I want, achieve what I want, and live with the kind of passion, depth and engagement that the life I dream about commands.

What are your New Year's Resolutions? How are you planning to stick to them? Should we form a support group for the resolved? (Just kidding.) (Unless you want to form a support group. Then maybe I'm not kidding.)

Happy New Year!

10 comments:

  1. My number one resolution is: BRING IT.

    I'm not even sure that is really a resolution, but it's all I could think of this early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Be more social and mean it this time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Be more" is great, and I concurr on the writing - I've set myself the goal to write a novel before and it never works out that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My main resolution is to copy your resolutions! Just kidding--kind of. And I want to be in a "resolved" support group. I am feeling pretty resolved this year to make better choices, do more, and even indeed to be more. I know exactly what you mean and I want to be in your club! I am pretty proud of my having quit my job in 08, but that was in March. It's time again to be more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think 2009 is going to be the best ever! we are going to bring it (i love that!) be more (i'm glad that you all understood that!) and support each other like whoa. i can feel it! and it feels good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need a support group too. Bring it? Hardly a resolution. More like a demand to the new year.

    I will "be more" with you guys.

    Chrissy, I am glad that write more is on the list. It brightens so many days here in Los Alamos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. after reading your post I added read more meaningful literature to my list of resolutions too. I'll read a few good books a year (or atleast one a month) but also reflecting on what I read in 08, so much of it unfortunately was crap. So I resolve to be more informed on my choice of reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I resolve to balance the crap with the quality. I still have to finish the Twilight series, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm taking a picture a day in 2009. I hope you achieve all your goals, especially the 1/2 marathon, that is impressive! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete