Wednesday, December 03, 2008

two things

I am going to try and keep this post short and sweet, but I'm not making any promises.

Thing One: I have decided to train for a 10K. Having completed a 5K back in March, and having run fairly consistently since then, it seems natural to take the next step. I'm following a plan I found on the Interwebs, and so far it's completely manageable. It fits my schedule to a creepy kind of perfection and I like having precise plans and specific goals. I'm not sure what my ultimate goal is - half marathon? triathlon? - and I'm trying my best to keep from looking that far ahead. One race at a time, one goal for the moment. It's hard for me to look at anything but the big picture, but I know how important it is that I learn to do just that. I'm training my body and my mind at the same time, and that makes me happy. Also, if you know of any 10K races in East Texas that take place around the 1st of February, let me know. Thanks.

Thing Two: The country is officially in a recession, and so am I! It seems that I have acquired quite a bit of credit card debt over the last few years. This is not all from frivolous spending and a high falutin' lifestyle - no, most of my debt comes from that time I worked in a bookstore for two years, making just under six dollars an hour. I used my credit card for food, and bills, and rent, and yes, occasionally I charged beer and sushi and gas for road trips, but not as much as you would think. Also, I've been carrying a balance on my card for about three years. This is bad news, and weighs heavily on my mind and my heart. I feel a bit like a failure - how did I manage to spend so much money that I didn't even have? I could play the blame game and berate myself, but instead I've decided that the next year - hello 2009! - is going to be devoted to living simply and paying off as much debt as possible. Nacogdoches is a very inexpensive place to live. I have a good paying job and most of my everyday needs are easily filled. It's time to get serious about stamping out my debt, because how can I be free - really free - if I'm enslaved by the vicious cycle of work and debt, debt and work?

I don't know how much I'll be posting about my Adventures in Debt, but if I learn anything interesting, I'll be sure to pass it along. Right now, we're concentrating on assessing where our money goes, where we can save money, and what we're willing to sacrifice. That is probably not so interesting, so I'll spare you the details for now. And if you have any ideas or resources or stories about your personal recessions, link, and share! Solidarity, darlings. Together, we'll find a way to be free!

10 comments:

  1. yeah East Texas is pretty cheap. Good luck with paying it back :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2009 is my "get out of all debt apart from the student loan type" year, so I will be joining you in frugalism! Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the positive energy, y'all!

    I think that we can make frugalism a hip and stylish new trend, don't you? It's worth a shot. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike and I will be budgeting ourselves pretty tight come new year too. Living simply is a hard but good lesson to learn (at least for me anyway). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have rid myself of all debt and it feels wonderful!! I own my car, and we rent a house right now.
    I've been using a budget (excel file) for about a year, and it's helped me save thousands to put down on a house next year.
    I recommend two things. Get a budget that works for you and use it. And read or listen to Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. I can get you a copy.

    Good luck, and you'll feel great just being on the right path to debt free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debt free! That's amazing. I'm jealous, but glad to know it's possible. I started an excel file, but so far I'm just keeping track of things. Do you have any specific programs that you use? You can email me if you want. Also, thanks for the Ramsey recommendation. I'll be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're not alone in this...having a child and working at low-paying jobs is very hard on the credit card. Now that I have an excellent job and no car payment, I'm working on paying off the balance as of this month. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be joining you in the frugal living campaign. I'm in a lot of travel related debt right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guys, I am sorry we're all in debt, but I have to admit - it makes me feel better, knowing we're in this together! (Hey, last time I checked, being corny was still free.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Makes me feel better too. I'm going to be debt free (minuse school loans) this coming year! I will be working 14 hour days, 7 days a week for the next few months..but dammit...I won't have debt and I'll be working so much that I won't be able to spend. lol.

    Honestly, good luck to each of you :)

    ReplyDelete