Friday, January 23, 2009

contest contest contest

It has occurred to me that in all my blogging years, I have never - not once! - hosted a contest of any kind. And this, despite the fact that I have entered many and was once even declared a winner! (Actually, it was runner up, but who's counting?) And so, in honor of Valentine's day, which is fast approaching, and Spring, which is right around the corner, and February, which is okay as far as months go, and our new President, who is already doing good things, and most of all in honor of YOU, yes YOU, you who reads my blog and sometimes leaves kind comments, and if you don't comment, then you at least spend some time caring about my ranting and rambling, and that caring you do? I can feel it! And so, in return, I've decided to host a contest in your honor. Here is what you need to know:

1. To enter this contest, simply leave a comment on this post between now and Monday, February 2nd. Include in your comment the best word you know. (Lately, I am totally digging fartlek.)

2. On February 3rd, I will write the names of all the contestants on small scraps of paper. I will place these papers in a hat. I will put my hand in the hat, and emerge with one small scrap of paper. This small scrap of paper will contain the name of the winner of the contest!

3. The winner of the contest will receive, in the mail, a package, return address Nacogdoches, Texas. The package will contain items sure to delight many of the winner's senses.

4. As for the rest of you! While I can't send a package to everyone who enters, I can send postcards. And if you enter, you will get one, at least. How about that?

So please, think of your favorite word, leave a comment on this entry, and cross your fingers! We are all winners, always!

26 comments:

  1. Without writing something childish and immature or a four letter word? Hmm. I've always loved those (what sound to me) like words that come from early 1800's British movies where you see a room of old English gentlemen sitting around in suits smoking cigars and drinking bourbon or some such thing. Words like "poppycock" (ok that one is only slightly immature), "bailiwick" (thank you Dictionary Word of the Day) or "jabberwocky". So I think I'll take "jabberwocky" as my favorite word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lots of favorite words, but since lieutenant has been a favorite since i was a kid watching rin tin tin...over 50 years!...i have to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. favorite word? i have no idea but the first thing that popped into my head was "CANDELABRA." don't ask.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not a "real" word I guess, but my favorite word is "frak," the substitute for a similar English vulgarity on Battlestar Galactica.

    In terms of non-sci-fi I love "fettucine."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever anyone says anything about favorite words, I always think of "glossy" first. I love the word, but I prefer the matte look. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever since my brother used it while visiting over winter break, I have been completely obsessed with finding a way to use "shibboleth" in a sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. friends, you are the most interesting blog readers i know! i will be working hard to find a way to use all of these words in conversation today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always loved the word scintilating, it rolls off the tongue nicely, and is a very under-used word these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. made up words are fine, so long as you have used or plan to use said word in conversation. my contest, my rules!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chrissy,

    My word is "blatherskite." Definition: a person given to voluble, empty talk (blather).

    I'm a blatherskite from way back and have use the word ever since I found the term in some Mark Twain prose.

    Look at me, blathering on!

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favourite word is one I heard a looonnng time ago, I know it's made up, but I'm not sure where I heard it... "Fantasmaglorical"!! It's such a brilliant word and cracks my workmates up when I casually use it when giving a briefing about the glacier to customers! Just a word to create an awesome positive connotation for people about everything XD

    ReplyDelete
  12. honestly, i know i'm a cheezy lady, but "joy" is my all-time favorite word. saying it almost always makes me joyful, and i like the way it sounds, looks, and what it means.
    so joy.

    oo i hope i win!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i don't have a definite favorite word, but today i guess it is... whorl.
    xo!
    -finn

    ReplyDelete
  14. just at present I'm enjoying sycophantic and obsequious. why do the English use these words at an astounding rate and NO ONE in the States even bothers?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ok. i have a new favorite word.

    from a word verification thingy: ANTSHOE.

    not only is that a great word with even greater imagery, but...does this mean i get two (2) names in the hat?

    antshoe, antshoe, antshoe, antshoe, antshoe, antshoe. (that's one for each foot.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun contest!! Fartlek is a good word, I used to be a big runner and I remember my fartlek days.
    My current favorite word? Since I recently rewatched Donnie Darko for like the 100th time, "cellar door" is in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Donnie Darko, and I love cellar door!

    ReplyDelete
  19. so hard to choose just one. so hard! it's like a desert island dare! but if I hafta, I'll choose... hmmm. How about odoriferous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. fartlek.... that sends chills down my spine. Those were the worst runs in high school cross country! (But it's a great word).

    I think my favorite word of the moment is "walkabout".

    ReplyDelete
  21. If I write that my favorite word is Chrissy, will that bump me up on the list? I really would love some love from Nac.

    ReplyDelete
  22. been thinking about words for you.

    i've found myself slinging the word "power" around when telling various people what i admire/see in them lately. also, i happen to be reading "power" by linda hogan. i am not going to select that word though, as i find it to also be at the root of a lot of negative things in the world.

    i like UPHEAVAL. that is mine. runners up consist of the slight variation - "upheaving", and then "gusting" and also "darkling".

    i'm glad i had made a note of those words over the last few weeks, really made everything come together for this contest entry. pick a powerful scrap out of that hat!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I work in archaeology which means that I'm fortunate enough to get real, viable opportunities to use the word 'atlatl'.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlatl

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! There are so many entries in the contest - I'm so pleased! I'll be pulling a word out of my hat tonight and posting the winner before bedtime, just in case y'all were wondering. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete