Monday, March 09, 2009

strawberry waffles


Saturday night, we went to a party at a good friend's house, where I ate lots of snacks, imbibed perhaps one too many beers, played with a little white dog, and made faces at the most beautiful child I've ever known. It was a lovely night, and we walked home in the warm evening air, talking out loud about how lucky we are to have so many wonderful friends.

The next morning we were not feeling quite so great about life, having woken up with slight hangovers and feeling the sting of springing the clocks ahead an hour. On mornings such as this particular one, the only thing to do is make strawberry vegan waffles and drink coffee, followed immediately by a long cuddle on the couch with the dog. Which is exactly what we did.

I got this recipe from a blog and followed it pretty closely, adding only chopped frozen strawberries because what is a fancy breakfast without a tiny bit of fruit? The first few waffles came out a little on the soggy side (I prefer my waffles to be crispy) but after experimenting with the amount of batter and the cooking time, I got exactly the kind of waffle I'd been hoping for - delicious.

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups soy milk
1 cup applesauce
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup chopped frozen strawberries

Directions:
Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients and the strawberries. Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.

Preheat waffle iron and spray with some nonstick oil. (My waffle iron is an old hand-me-down and required nonstick oil after each waffle. Small price to pay.)

Cook according to the waffle maker's instructions, which usually means putting about 1/4 cup batter on the iron (or 2/3 if you're like me and have a Belgium waffle maker), closing, and waiting for a light to go out. For crispy deliciousness, cook a little longer than that.

Makes 3-5 big old waffles, one of which you may share with the dog.

10 comments:

  1. These sound delicious, I'll be trying the recipe out at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a good time! I'm still working with Rees on learning how to say "Chreesie"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. V - let me know how they come out!
    C - thanks for having us! i can't wait for the day when rees says my name without me having to beg her. soon, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm too lazy to make these delicious looking waffles...you should make them for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wait just a minute! "the most beautiful child" uh ... excuse me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops... I mean the cutest BABY I have ever seen. Or is Rees a toddler now? Either way, no worries. P-Funk has got the teen demographic locked down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Vegan waffles will cure all hangovers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chrissy,
    I found your blog via another cooking blog, and wanted to thank you for the recipes. I too am lactose-intolerant to the point of being nondairy. And I'm a mostly-vegan person, though, I, like you, do include eggs in my diet. So thanks again, and I look forward to browsing the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like we're dietary twins! I just recently started eating eggs again, so all my current recipes are vegan. And they'll always be dairy free! Hope you find some things you like and thanks for visiting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i just made these waffles this evening... they were delicious! so happy i made them. i even mentioned them in my blog post: http://merediiith.blogspot.com/2011/06/vegan-strawberry-waffles-for-brinner.html (p.s. my dog's name is waffles - i obviously have a thing for them!)

    ReplyDelete