Monday, March 30, 2009

wonder, seek, discover


I love just about everything posted on Indexed, but this one was especially nice to come across on a slow moving Monday morning.

My weekend was a fine one - I finally got to all the relaxing that didn't happen during spring break. And when I say relaxing, I mean 5 loads of laundry, fancy-ish dinners, 6 hours spent working on the yoga studio's newsletter, a felting workshop, Jenga in the dark (for Earth Hour), and critiquing and writing stories for class. Good times, and here are some pictures to prove it.


The felting workshop was led by an artist named Mindy Sue Meyers, and we learned how to make and dye felt from raw wool and kool-aid. It was interesting and I enjoyed the artist's talk and explanation of her work & vision. I am fascinated by artists and the creative process, so hearing about how someone else is inspired and productive is one of my favorite things.


Mindy Sue specializes in taking household items - sponges, paper napkins, Brillo pads - and embellishing them with beads, embroidery and scents so that they look and smell like delicious baked goods. You can check out more of her work at her blog.


Saturday night, I made the vegan asparagus quiche from Veganomicon. It was a very good looking dish, but unfortunately I didn't care for it at all. I think it came out right - Nathan liked it, and Amy and David seemed to appreciate the leftovers I brought them. It was the consistency that got to me. I don't know why I thought I'd like a vegan quiche, when I've never been particularly fond of the egg version. Alas, they can't all be zingers. On the bright side, my potato leek soup was smashing, as usual. So there's that.

Also! I was originally planning on running a 10K in Tyler this past weekend, but skipped it due to lack of funds and time. Instead, I completed my longest run ever right here in town - six miles on Lanana Creek Trail. It was a good run - slow but steady, and I didn't even feel like I was going to die at the end. I feel confident that if I keep this up, I'll be able to successfully complete a half-marathon by October, and that's pretty freaking exciting.

6 comments:

  1. Were you at my place when Zaina made that vegan quiche? It was so good, but not nearly as pretty as yours. Too bad it didn't taste so good.

    Congrats on the long run! You are going to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. Was that the first potluck I went to, the first time I ever met you? I kind of remember a quiche, but I don't remember if I liked it or not. I think maybe I am just not a quiche person.

    Thanks for the encouragement! I can't believe I actually LIKE running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are going to totally be successful with a half marathon. you're a dedicated runner with calf muscles! :)

    that potato leek soup was damn good. mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the wonder, seek, discover picture. It's a really neat way to look at life.

    Your quiche looks beautiful! Sorry you didn't like it much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when i first saw the pic of the quiche, i thought it was also a felting project...i thought "Damn...i didn't know felt could look so realistic!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. jasmine - i think i might print that card out and hang it over my desk. it's so good!

    ruby - i think a felt quiche would probably have tasted better than the real deal. ;)

    ReplyDelete