Wednesday, April 22, 2009

life list: go one month without drinking any alcohol

This month of sobriety began on March 22, and ends today, on April 22. I thought this would be one of the hardest goals that I set for myself, and while there were moments when I really wanted a cold beer or a glass of wine, I found that I didn't really miss drinking all that month. Don't get me wrong - I'm still a huge fan of expensive beers, microbreweries and Pinot Noir. But I also like the way I feel when I wake up early for a run, headache free; the knowledge that I can hang with a group of people at the bar and happily sip glasses of water; the fact that I can trade in hundreds of empty calories for extra healthy snacks. While I don't really see myself ever voluntarily going a whole month without a drink again, I can see myself cutting back a whole lot. One glass of wine with dinner, two beers on a Saturday night. Everything in moderation, even - especially - the things I love most.

I feel accomplished. Now who wants to go to the bar tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment