Monday, April 20, 2009

recipe: beans and greens with herbed polenta

I was craving polenta, and had received a bunch of gorgeous swiss chard in my CSA basket this weekend. After a little bit of Googling, I found the perfect recipe for all my culinary needs.


I'd never made polenta from scratch. It's not that hard, but requires a solid 30 minutes of frequent stirring. The green bits you see are parsley and rosemary. I love fresh herbs.


Spring onions and swiss chard from the CSA. Spring onions are my new favorite vegetable.


Onions and chard, sauteed with garlic and olive oil.


After the chard wilts, add beans, a can of tomatoes, fresh basil, salt and pepper.


Cut the polenta (which has spent another 30 minutes setting in a pan) into triangles and broil in the oven for five minutes on either side, until golden and slightly crispy.


Serve beans and greens mixture over polenta. Delicious!


This meal is best served with a side of Scrabble. Scrabble is extra tasty if you beat your boyfriend by 70 points. (Equally tasty is the letter B, which Seamus chewed up when he was just a pup. Ah, memories!)

Bon appetite!

11 comments:

  1. aw...what a special B you have there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I see a "Q" a "Z" and an "X" in that Scrabble shot. Remind me never to play Scrabble with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we're pretty cutthroat scrabble players. there's no holding back in the henneward house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so inspiring, and looks delicious! (The polenta dish, not the Scrabble, although it would add interest to any recipe, I'm sure...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha! your B is so cute and special! :)

    the polenta looks quite tasty. great photos too! and your weekend (above) sounds like it was perfectly delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Michelle - the polenta dish was not very difficult, either. it took about an hour total to make, and half of that time was spent stirring the polenta.

    @Jasmine - I'm going to have that B forever, I know it. :) Weekends are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry, can I get an official ruling on QATS? And an invitation to dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We always play Scabble with our Official Players' Dictionary close at hand. QAT is a classic Q-without-U word. Also, come over for dinner anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are becoming quite the chef! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks KB! That means a lot coming from you. <3

    ReplyDelete