Tuesday, July 07, 2009

on the road


Yesterday was my first unofficial day as Director of Digital Projects. (Officially, I started while on staycation, but I have a hard time counting that.) Today, I dealt with my first kerfuffle. Okay, my first three kerfuffles. I like the word kerfuffle. It makes any problem seem easier to handle, and you know what? I handled it all. I know it's still my first week as a Boss, but I have to say that I have a good feeling about this. I think everything is going to be okay.

It helps that during my first (un)official week as Director, I am officially leaving once again. This time, it is for a work related event - the American Library Association's Annual Conference, which will be held in fabulous Chicago. I don't know if Chicago is actually fabulous, as I've never been, but I fully intend to find out. I am also ridiculously excited about the conference itself. Speakers include Junot Diaz and Charlaine Harris (have I mentioned that I'm currently obsessed with the True Blood HBO series? So good); I've RSVP-ed to both a Caribbean themed dinner with free mojitos and fried plantains AND an evening of cocktails and live music on a rooftop; I'm having dinner at the Chicago Diner; I'm planning to run on the Chicago Lakefront Path; and oh yeah, there are a ton of ALA sessions I'm geeking out about, all having to do with digital resources, institutional repositories, and metadata. Nerd alert!

Posting will be intermittent during the next week or two as a result of my upcoming adventure, but you can always keep up to date via my Twitter. Until we blog again!

5 comments:

  1. Chicago is lovely. You will like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicago is great. Gib and I were pretty serious about moving there after Purchase for a while. You're going at a great time, winter there is harsh. Go to Millennium Park, that's where the bean and Crown Fountain reside. You will have fun taking pictures of those! If your job doesn't require you to ever get on the El, do it anyway, you'll have fun. And if you're feeling really fancy, there's a bar on the 96th floor of the John Hancock building called the Signature Lounge. A friend took me up for a drink once, great views. Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the tips! i will add these things to my list of awesome stuff to do in chicago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think we've been to that diner! if so, it was yummy. have a marvelous trip.
    -finn

    ReplyDelete