Monday, August 24, 2009

record breaking weekend

Did you ever have one of those days where you accomplish something so huge, so amazing, so unlike anything you have ever accomplished before, that you wonder for a moment who you are and how you arrived at this moment? My weekend was full of those days.

On Saturday morning, I hopped on my road bike and headed to the Bike Shop for my weekly ride. They had promised me a long, gentle ride and that sounded good to me, as I hadn't gone more than to and from work for weeks. It turns out that while "long" was right, we seem to have a difference of opinion on the meaning of the word "gentle." We ended up riding from Nacogdoches to Garrison and back - a full 52 miles. Yes, that's right. 52 mother effing miles.

Things that went right: the weather was gorgeous (75 and breezy); I was wearing my new bike shorts; I had a solid breakfast, tons of water, and a good snack; and I've been running so much that my legs could handle everything until about mile 40. Things that went not so right: most of the hills seemed to congregate after mile 40, which made the last 10 miles incredibly tough; poor Bryan, who we invited to the ride, did not have breakfast or good snacks, and I hung back with him towards the end; 75 degree weather only lasts until about 11am, and we were trudging back until at least noon.

Lessons learned: pack more snacks, pace myself, and practice, practice, practice. Those hills aren't going to climb themselves. Oh, and also - I am a bad ass. 52 mother effing miles. I never thought I would see the day.

As if that weren't enough, on Sunday morning Nathan and I went for a long run. With my half marathon fast approaching (October 17th!) I realized that I really needed to start breaking 10 miles on a regular basis. To help achieve that, I've decided to do my long runs with Nathan - better than anyone, he challenges me to run faster and longer, and with him by my side (or ten feet in front of me) I managed to complete an 11 mile run at a 10 minute per mile pace. That's my longest run to date, and one of my better times in recent weeks. It's amazing what a supportive partner can help you accomplish. :)

I am telling you all of this, not to brag, but so that you can appreciate the sheer amazement I feel. As a person who started her athletic career in Remedial Gym (yes, it does exist, and yes, I had to go), who ran her first complete mile less than two years ago, I absolutely never thought that I would 1. wear bike shorts, 2. run long distances, or 3. enjoy any of the above. And I do enjoy it. And that is perhaps the most amazing thing of all!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for doing your 11 mile run. You are an effing bad ass. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're awesome. as a fellow non-athletic, gym class & team sports hater, this is so inspiring to me. maybe it's about time i get into shape...
    -finn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Chrissy! You rock! Be proud, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your support. RAWR AND STUFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, 52 miles? That's amazing. And then top it off with the run the next day? That is a very accomplished run. I don't even think I did half of what you did this past weekend. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are pretty bad ass.

    I love that I can comfortably wear bike shorts without embarrassment too.

    ReplyDelete