Thursday, September 17, 2009

bits and pieces

It's been raining steadily for a week now. I'm not complaining, considering the drought that was the Summer of 2009, but it's making me tired and lazy and not wanting to do anything but curl up on the couch and consume bowls of soup and scads of crackers.

Work has been a mess these last two weeks, but things appear to be calming down. Being in charge is tougher than it looks and require an amount of courage not listed in the initial job description. So far, so good, but seriously - when's my next vacation?

After three sessions of my creative nonfiction class, I realize how lucky I was to start my experiment in graduate classes with John M. and the mostly great group of writers from last semester. While I'm enjoying the challenge and the chance to experiment with a new form, I am a little... disappointed... by the... caliber... of some of the other students. (I'm trying to phrase this without sounding like a total snob. I think I'm failing.) I'm not necessarily talking about the writing, but the discussion and conversations that occur. Next week will be the first time we officially workshop a story, so I'll have a better handle on the situation then. In the meantime, I am steadily working on a piece about that time I had dreadlocks for three years in college. I'm still toying with structure - do I want to write a lyric essay? A straight up narrative? Something that weaves in the history of dreads, including an examination of race and white privilege? Or a combination of all those things? My story is due on October 7th, so I need to decide soon.

I recently watched the first two episodes of Glee. If you haven't seen this show yet, and are a person who enjoys corny entertainment, singing, and choreographed dancing, may I highly recommend it?

3 comments:

  1. You may recommend Glee. And I will take some time out to check it out once I am all moved in to the new apt. Which incidentally...is very close to you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read your piece. We need to get the writing group together again. Immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do NOT need another tv show to watch no matter how cute it is. I already started mad men, the office ... even gilmore girls because of you.

    I do, however, need to read your work when you are done with it.

    ReplyDelete