Tuesday, November 17, 2009

marathon update - week four

This week marks my fourth of marathon training. Marathon training, I have found, is a lot harder than half marathon training. My short turns are getting longer and my long runs are really long - I'm planning for a 13 miler this weekend, and my first 20 mile run is less than a month away! That seems terribly soon.

As for following my training plan to a T - not so much. I don't feel like I've gotten faster in a while, and this is partly because I haven't really been doing the recommended speedwork and tempo runs. I just don't like running fast - it's uncomfortable. Which is, of course, the point, not mention a vicious cycle - I would be more comfortable with speed if I ran fast more often, but because it's uncomfortable I don't run fast. On and on we go, at a slow but steady pace.

I've also been skipping some of the long runs, which is about the worst thing you can do when training for a marathon. One weekend we were in New Orleans, competing in the Adventure Race, which was a pretty good excuse. This past weekend, I had a lot of school work and writing to catch up on, and I also may or may not have had a hangover. Not such good excuses.

Overall, I'm doing okay with my training, but I need to start doing better before this unrepentant slacking catches up with me. Here's my plan to get back on track and kick the marathon's ass:

1. Stop skipping long runs.
2. Limit alcohol for the next few weeks, especially on nights before a run.
3. Commit to cross training - yoga and weight dates at the rec center, twice a week for each.
4. Watch my fuel - make sure I eat right after a long run, make sure I'm getting enough protein, and make sure I switch to water in the afternoon, instead of drinking coffee straight up until beer time (which will be henceforth known as herbal tea time).

If I follow these simple guidelines, I'm sure I can get over the plateau I've been sitting on for the last few weeks. Until the next marathon update!

4 comments:

  1. You are awesome. I don't think I'll ever train (or register) for a marathon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good plan. Water is the hardest thing for me to remember in the winter. It really does make a difference.

    I can't wait to see the results ... maybe we won't run together when you come up North. You'll smoke me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrissy, your dedication and enthusiasm are an inspiration! My mom is running a half marathon in a couple weeks and she is essentially running a half this weekend. Crazy! But amazing. Hooray for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. That last comment was me, Anne. I don't know why I'm signed in as REST, which is a sleep study I worked on years ago.

    ReplyDelete