Wednesday, December 16, 2009

2009 in review - january through june

2009 is drawing to a close, so naturally I'm looking back and looking forward, figuring out what I did right, what I can do better, and exactly how amazing life can be. Luckily, I have a blog so pulling out the highlights is easy. In this three part series, I will relieve the best moments of 2009, review my resolutions, and then make goals for 2010. Feel free to leave your own best memories in the comments!   





 January A fairly quiet month. I took part in not one, but two color weeks and started painting my kitchen cabinets. I had high hopes for 2009, and spent a lot of time talking about resolutions and goals. Shocking, I know. I also started my Graduate Fiction Workshop class, which would end up being very important in my quest to be a Real Live Writer.




February We finally finished painting our kitchen cabinets, we competed in the Heartbreak Duathlon (my first multi-sport race ever!), and I attended the WebWise conference in DC, where I hung out with Scott and Ella, two of my good college friends, and met Scott's soon-to-be-wife Melanie for the first time.



March This was an exciting month! In March, I contemplated and ultimately decided to start running in the mornings (which comes so naturally to me now - to think that at one point, this was an issue!); split Spring Break between camping at Caddo Lake and attending our old roommate Neil's wedding in Austin; and I went a whole month without drinking any alcohol, because I like setting arbitrary goals for myself and then achieving them.



April I became friends with E and B, and they invited me to join their Writers' Group, which pleased me. I was also invited to read one of my short stories at an SFA student reading. My month of sobriety ended, and I celebrated accordingly.



May I wrote my first ever guest post at Yes and Yes; dragged Nathan on a culinary tour of Dallas; took two trips to Boykin Spring - once with the girls, once with my boys - and celebrated the start of summer; and hosted a Lost party for the season finale, complete with a Dharma Initiative cake. Delish!



June June was full of drama and intrigue, and it all started with the Texas Blueberry Festival's Blueberry Pie Contest. I prefer not to relive that particular indignation. I spent a week at work out of the office and in cemeteries for a grant project, and was promoted to head of my department - my first foray into the wild world of middle management! I also took a risk by cutting my own bangs, AND my mom and sisters came to Texas for their first ever family visit.

Stay turned for 2009 in Review - August through December!

3 comments:

  1. Chrissy,

    I don't comment on your blog as often as I should. But there's a reason for that. Every time I finish one of you're posts the only thing running off in my head is "you know, Chrissy just so totally rocks" and I don't want to start making your comment area sound boring and reduntant. You are, quite honestly, a true inspiration to me and following your blog and your life via your blog always wants to make me live better, to my true potential. So, as far as I'm concerned, 2009 has been an awesome success for you and I look forward to what's in store for The New Me in 2010. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks C! I get a lot our of your Internet presence as well - you are a great source of articles, inspiration and awesome links. Plus you're like the coolest librarian I know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm honored to have been a noteworthy part of your year!!! we miss you guys tons, and need to hang out so we can put away the cardboard cutouts we keep of you.

    ReplyDelete