Saturday, December 26, 2009

christmas and running in new york

I survived Christmas. In fact, I even enjoyed it!

I am usually not much for Christmas. In 1996, my grandmother died in a car accident on Christmas Eve, and ever since then the holiday has been tinged with sadness and grief. My family does not deal well with these things, and you can never tell what kind of holiday season it's going to be. Will we open presents while watching the yule log burn on basic cable? Or will things fall apart while we offer one another cardboard smiles and try our best to pretend that everything is fine? I am glad to say that this was a yule log year (and a board game year, and a Snuggie year, and a too-much-wine year, and a cold and snowy year) and that I'm feeling better about Christmas than I have in a very long time.

We've been hanging out with my family since we arrived in New York, but today Nathan and I have plans to see some friends in Brooklyn. I love my family, but I also like my friends, and it's hard to balance everyone while I'm home. I think this year will be a bit easier, since we're in town for over two weeks. 

And speaking of extra long visits, while I'm loving the time I get to spend with everyone in New York, I am not really loving the fact that running has been very hard. In fact, I have only run once since we left Texas - six miles on the treadmill at my sister's gym. Running outside hasn't been an option - it's freezing and the roads are still covered in snow, slush and ice. The gym is good, but it's ten dollars for a day pass and takes a half an hour to drive there, which cuts into family time quite a bit. I altered my training plan (the marathon is on February 14th, after all!) and I think I'll be okay. I'm just worried, because I'm a stickler for plans and having to change mine at the last minute is killing me. Today, I will not leave for Brooklyn until I've gone to the gym and completed a seven mile tempo run on the treadmill. You can hold me to that.

In the meantime, happy holidays and stay warm!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are having a wonderful break and two big runs while on vacation is more than acceptable in my book.

    ReplyDelete