Tuesday, December 08, 2009

recipe: indian samosa casserole



A casserole is the ultimate winter meal. It's warm, it's filling, it's comforting, and let's face it - there is something very satisfying about eating dinner from a pie plate. While I make a lot of casserole and pot pie variations (mostly depending on what ingredients I have in the house) the base is always the same - potatoes, carrots, onions and a legume (usually chickpeas or lentils).

This month's issue of Vegetarian Times puts a new twist on an old favorite - Indian Samosa Casserole! I made this for dinner on Saturday night, while my lungs were still sore from the freezing 5K and the wind howled outside. It was pretty good - just enough heat to warm you to your toes, and the distinct Indian flavor was a nice surprise. Plus, we had leftovers the next day. You can't beat that!



Indian Samosa Casserole (from Vegetarian Times)

Crust:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Filling:
1 Tbsp black or yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
5 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tsp agave nectar or sugar
2 Tbsp soymilk

1. To make crust: Preheat over to 375F. Whisk together flours and salt in a bowl. Stir in oil until clumps form. Add 6 to 10 Tbsp cold water, 1 Tbsp at a time, until dough holds together. Shape into a ball, cover with a damp washcloth, and set aside.

2. To make filling: Stir together mustard seeds, curry, ginger, cumin and red pepper flakes in a bowl; set aside.

3. Cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, return to pot, and mash, leaving small chunks.

4. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic. Saute 5 minutes, or until carrot is tender. Move onion mixture to the side of the pan and add mustard seed mixture in the center. Toast for 30 seconds. Stir in peas and broth. Fold onion mixture into potato mixture; stir in agave nectar. Season with salt and pepper and spread the filling into a 9-inch pie pan. Set aside.

5. Roll out the crust dough to an 11-inch circle on floured work space. Cover filling with dough, pressing down to make sure no air pockets remain. Trim away excess dough and crimp the edges with fingers. Cut an X in the center to vent steam; brush with soymilk just before baking. Place pie on a baking sheet and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

6. Devour.

9 comments:

  1. Excellent! This sounds great! I'll be trying it out next week, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try this - it's probably WAY easier than making samosas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's WAY easier than making samosas! And you can do a lot with the crust, too. I sometimes like to make a crust that is all whole wheat flour with up to a quarter cup of flax meal, for a little extra you-know-what. (Omega 3's, in case you don't.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this! I just got home after shoveling my car out out 19" of snow plus being totally plowed in (I live in Madision WI) in 5 degree weather to find that boyfriend THREW OUT my Vegt. Times and this recipe I was looking forward to making tonight to warm me up. You've made my bad day a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous - you're welcome! I hope it was warm and delicious. 5 degrees us a whole lot more winter than Texas sees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this in the magazine you subscribed me to. It was on my "to make" list. Glad to see it turned out yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! I am going to try this. I love hearty winter casseroles and I loooooove Indian food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am making it tonight. It sounds very good for a cold January day. I have a niece who works in a cafe in Jerusalem. She just made this soup a week ago and sent the recipe. I thought I would share it since it has similar
    ingredients.
    Get a big pot. (This will be enough for six big bowls, okay?) Chop 3 big onions, fist size and throw them in a hot pot with 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Add 2 celery stalks, diced. Peel and dice a bunch of carrots, maybe a pound, as well as 3 medium sized potatos, peeled, diced and washed. Add salt and pepper and wait until the pot is HOT and starts to turn brown on the sides and bottom. Add chicken bouillion (sp) or stock and water to cover the contents by 3 inches or so. It depends on how thick you like your soup. When the carrots are soft add a teaspoon of freshly ground ginger, 4 cloves of crused garlic, salt and white pepper to taste. Add juice of a nice lemon including a bit of grated peel. Use a hand blender to make it smooth and creamy, a swish of heavy cream in the serving bowls and YUMMY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete