Thursday, December 03, 2009

reading like a writer should

Nathan has been at a conference in Savannah, Georgia, since Saturday night. He will not return until this upcoming Saturday night. That has meant one full week, all to myself, to whatever I want, whenever I want, however I want. Since I'm usually the one dashing off to conferences and leaving Nathan and Seamus behind, this has been an interesting - and welcome - turn of events. I'm sure that by now, y'all know that I am a person who really, really, really enjoys time to myself. And while I love Nathan and being one half of an amazing partnership, I also like those pockets of time where I am just me.

So what have I been doing since Nathan's been gone? Eating leftovers, for one. When Nathan's around, there is no such thing as leftovers. That man eats three times the amount of a regular person, and I have no idea where he puts it all. So leftovers have been nice. I've also been doing a lot of clutter clearing (thanks to a certain amazing book that Jen gave me at Thanksgiving - thanks, Jen!), a lot of dog walking, a lot of reading, and a lot of writing.

One thing I have not done, and do not intend to do, is watch television. Despite the fact that we have a gigantic TV, we do not have any kind of cable - not even basic - and do all our story watching on the Internet. We have a habit of taking my laptop to bed and capping off the day with a half hour of the Daily Show, or 30 Rock, or The Office, or GLEE! But this week, I am avoiding all of that (except for GLEE! - I can't help it, I'm addicted) and instead, I've been reading.

Reading. Imagine that.

See, it's nearly the end of 2009 and one of my New Years' Resolutions was to read 25 books. So far, I'm right around 13. This is not good and I don't think I can squeeze ten more books into the space of four weeks. I can, however, try. Also, I'm currently in the middle of about five books, so if I can finish those I'll be in decent shape. I take resolutions very seriously. I also take reading very seriously, even though I find myself choosing John Stewart over the piles of novels and collections of short stories piled up on bedside table. This week has been an exercise in turning off the TV (or the laptop, as it were) and opening up the book.

But that doesn't mean I don't still love you, John. How about you write a book, and then I can have the best of both worlds. ;)

5 comments:

  1. I agree. Why did television go and get so good? I was all on board the "kill your T.V." bandwagon, until the Office came and no there's no hope for me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and where's your new hairs picture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I was actually disappointed with this week's episode of Glee. Also, I used to live very happily without cable television. I did from 2003 to 2009, in fact. But the new roommate needed it. Damn roommates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great way to spend some "me" time. And I feel all special because I know what the new 'do looks like. It's so fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New hair photo! New hair photo!

    ReplyDelete