Tuesday, January 26, 2010

doctors without borders & a marathon update



First things first. You may have noticed the donation widget in the upper right hand corner of my blog. That's because Nathan and I have decided to use the Austin Marathon as an excuse to raise money for one of our favorite charities - Doctors Without Borders. From their website:
Doctors Without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)) is an international independent medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters, and exclusion from health care in more than 70 countries. A private, nonprofit organization, Doctors Without Borders was founded in 1971 as the first non-governmental organization to both provide emergency medical assistance and bear witness publicly to the plight of people it assists.
Our combined goal is $1000, which I'm sure we'll be able to reach in three weeks. I'm hoping that this goal will not only raise some much needed funds for an awesome organization (especially in light of the recent earthquake in Haiti) but that running for something outside of myself will inspire me to finish the race. Because when you think about it, 26.2 miles isn't really that big a deal. I've been taking it so seriously - thinking about training, plotting our my weekly workouts, blogging my fears and hopes and rationalizations nearly to death (thanks for sticking around, by the way!) that a little perspective is definitely called for. So thank you in advance for your donations and your support (a huge thank you to those who have already donated! You're amazing!) and feel free to pass on the word.

And speaking of marathons... 

I've been sick the past two weekends, which has seriously cramped my running style. I've altered and rearranged my training plan so many times at this point that I don't even know if you can call it an actual "plan." After starting out so strong back in November and early December, I fell off the wagon at the holidays and have been struggling to get back on it ever since. I have to keep reminding myself that this is my first marathon, and my only goal is to finish. I've been keeping up with healthy eating, yoga and most of my shorter runs. I feel strong and inspired. And as long as I get two more long (18-20 mile) runs in before the end of next week, I'll feel prepared enough. That's the plan, and you know I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for reading and, if you can, for donating!

5 comments:

  1. Hi there! I found your blog through Anna's... it is always nice to find another Texan Vegan Blogger. I have been vegetarian for almost a year and recently eliminted the last bit, dairy, from my diet.. it is still a learning curve as I crave things with cheese and am looking for alternative. Anyhow.. your comment hit a spot as it is so difficult dealing with people at work, since I don't eat meat they think I am crazy and now that I have stopped dairy now I am just nuts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gelareh! Congrats on going vegan. It took a long time for cheese to lose it's allure for me, but I can honestly say I don't crave it all anymore. The only thing I occasionally pine for are ice-cream shakes... c'est la vie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran my first (and so far, only) marathon in 2007. The plan I was following (The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer) had me taper off in the last 3 weeks before the marathon. It was tough - I worried I would lose my conditioning. And the longest run I completed in training was 18 miles. I was afraid I couldn't do the 26.2. But, I DID!! And, you will too. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment, Robin! That makes me feel a lot better. :)

    ReplyDelete