Wednesday, January 27, 2010

recipe: iced oatmeal cookies



I'm so glad I renewed my subscription to Vegetarian Times! Since it's a monthly magazine, the recipes and articles are usually holiday related and seasonal, which can be pretty inspiring. The first thing I made from this month's issue were the Vegan Iced Oatmeal Cookies. They were delicious - chewy and sweet, with a hint of lemon - but while baking them, I found a typo! The first step of the recipe instructs you to mix together flaxseed and water in a small bowl and set aside - but then it never tells you what to do with the flax! I edited the recipe below (my comments and changes are in bold) so you can see what I changed (and what I did with the flax!).

I meant to bring these to work but I'm only somewhat ashamed to admit that Nathan and I ate the whole plate of them by Sunday evening. Tsk, tsk! 



VT's Vegan Iced Oatmeal Cookies 

Cookies: 
2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
1 cup oat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp vegan margarine, softened (I use Earth Balance)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup applesauce or prune puree (I went with apples)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries (three cheers for cranberries!)

Icing: 
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice

1. To make cookies: stir together flaxseed meal and 3 Tbsp water in a small bowl. Set aside. Whisk together oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.

2. Beat margarine, brown sugar and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer (or a Kitchen Aid!) 1 to 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add applesauce, vanilla and flaxseed mixture, and beat until smooth. Stir in oat flour mixture with a spatula or wooden spoon. Add oats and dried fruit and stir to combine. Cover and chill for two hours or overnight.

3. Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray. Roll cookie dough into golf-ball sized rounds, and place dough balls 1.5 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. (This recipe says it makes 24 cookies, but I only got about 16.) Flatten each cookie to 1/4 inch thickness with the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in water. Bake 10-12 minutes or until cookies look dry on top and are just beginning to brown.

4. Meanwhile, prepare icing by whisking together confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in small bowl until smooth; icing should be thick, but spreadable. (My icing remained fairly thin and never got the same frosty effect VT pictured. Still tasted delish, though!) Gently brush icing on hot cookies with pastry brush. Cool 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container.

(I don't feel like typing out the nutritional info - if you want it, let me know!)

6 comments:

  1. I just made these yesterday from my issue as well...aren't they SO yummy??

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES. I might make them again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! These look and sound delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sampled these at an event and LOVED them. I was provided the recipe two weeks ago and have made them twice - YUM. Which VT were they in and can you provide the calorie count?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anon! They're from the February 2010 issue, and each cookie has 99 calories, 2 grams protein, 2 grams fat, 20 grams carbs, 0 cholesterol, 109 mg sodium, 1 gram fiber, and 13 grams sugar. Not bad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i found your blog by googling this recipe I am adding it to my blog tonight I just tried them for the first time. :)

    ReplyDelete