Monday, January 18, 2010

weekend recap & marathon update

I was sick all weekend. A head cold mostly, which came in waves and settled right beneath my eyes. It felt like I had been punched in the head repeatedly and I ended up skipping two runs and a yoga class, which was incredibly disappointing but incredibly necessary. Things I did accomplish: made two new recipes from Veganomicon (one of my goals for OH TEN) and a delicious cake by the Voracious Vegan; attended a thank you dinner in honor of the professors who wrote letters of recommendation for myself and some friends; went to Lufkin and bought new running shoes (finally!); visited Amy at her new pink house; and finished an excellent collection of stories by Alice Munro. Not bad for feeling like death.

But this not running thing - this is cause for concern. As I'm sure even a cursory reader of The New Me knows by now - the Austin Marathon is February 14th, and I still have a lot of work to do before I take my place at the starting line.



That's my plan for the next three weeks.Three more long runs, shorter runs that work on speed and endurance, and lots of yoga so I stay flexible and strong. Not pictured: a super healthy diet with lots of fresh fruits and veggies (so I don't get sick again), protein (to repair my muscles) and healthy fats (I started putting flax seed on my morning cereal - three cheers for omega 3's)! If I follow this plan as closely as possible, I think I'll be ready enough for the big day. Remember: this is my first marathon. I'm not trying to beat a time or break a record. My goal is simply to survive. Crossing the finish line at something more than a crawl would be nice, but is not necessary. Not this time, anyway.

I read a great mantra the other day on the blog of another woman who just ran her first marathon: Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever. I'm sure I'll be repeating that a lot on the 14th.

5 comments:

  1. I started putting flax on my cereal a few years ago and I am CONVINCED that I feel better throughout the day for it. (You know, on days that I eat cereal for breakfast.) I also add a little bit of ground flax to most of my baking recipes. Makes me feel better about eating cake & cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to know! I've been adding to it to the crust of pizzas and pot pies, and I'm looking forward to a daily boost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! I'm going to use it for everything. Well, everything I want to quit anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you made that cake, isn't it absolutely epic!?! I'm still raving about it all these weeks later. In fact, I'm making it for my friend's birthday party tomorrow. Although, once it's made I'll probably go into hiding just so I can eat the whole thing by myself.

    Good luck training for the marathon!

    ReplyDelete