Thursday, February 25, 2010

the waiting game

I'm sitting here, trying to think of something to blog about, which is never a good sign. One should only blog when one feels moved to blog. I think Shakespeare said that. At any rate, while sitting here and thinking, I realized my life has been reduced to three things.

The first is graduate school. I have applied to four schools and so far, I've only heard back from one (and have since decided that Wisconsin is simply too cold for me, so it really is for the best). From stalking the MFA weblog (which receives at least 2,000 comments per post, most of which are people reporting acceptances, rejections, and the more general signs of nervous breakdowns) I have gathered that this whole waiting-to-hear, life-in-limbo thing is not pleasant for anyone. I will say that I have received one promising email from the Director of a program (known as a Good News Email on the MFA weblog, or GNE for short) and while it has made me hopeful, it has also made me afraid, as a rejection now would devastate that much more. So please, MFA programs - make your decisions and send me my letters. For better or for worse, I need to get on with my life.

When not thinking about MFA's, I am exercising. I don't want to turn The New Me into a fitness blog (that's why I have dailymile) but training takes up a lot of my time and it's fun, and I like sharing fun, time consuming things with you. For example, today was my second day of swim practice, and I'm already improving! I used a kick board to work on form and I got down the mechanics of breathing. Now I just need to remember to actually take a breath. I also started training for the half marathon in April, which demands shorter runs at higher speeds. So far, so good!

The third thing is Battlestar Galactica. We just finished season 2.5, which - for a so-so season - had an AMAZING final episode. Like, crazy, ridiculously good. And now I want to rush out and buy season 3 but we're holding off. Why? I don't know. Because I'm not waiting for enough things right now and I enjoy torturing myself, I guess.

Yoga tonight, and not a moment too soon.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I for one love reading about your new exercise adventures. So much so that I've started trainging again. So, thank you.

    Good luck on the graduate programs! Hope you get what you really want out of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Don't they know how stressful all this waiting is for me? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're training again, Bobbie! That makes me happy.

    KB - you and me both! I spend half the day on the verge of hyperventilating. :(

    ReplyDelete