Monday, March 08, 2010

altitude, ahoy!

My WebWise adventure in Colorado ended on Saturday, when Rachel and I found ourselves traveling all day to make a triumphant return to Nacogdoches. A cab ride, flight, airport shuttle, and car ride later, we were back home in our native humidity and relative warmth. My skin was very thankful. I brought my camera to Denver but ended up using my iPhone to take photos. It's just so small and easy to carry around, and while the picture quality isn't the absolute best, it's still pretty damn good. Here are a few snaps from my trip (there aren't a ton, as 75% of my time was spent in the conference, and conferences do not make for awesome photos).

 

The first thing we did, after exiting our flight and high-tailing it to Boulder with Rachel's friend Erin and Erin's super nice colleague Peggy, was have lunch at the Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse. The ceiling - pictured above - was beautiful. The food was pretty amazing, too. I had an acorn squash stuffed with cous-cous, chickpeas, and veggies, topped with a lime vinaigrette. So good. 



Once we had eaten our fill and I was slightly buzzed from my first high altitude beer, we walked up and down the Pearl Street Mall, which was lined with stores and shops and offered lots of locally produced items. I bought a new wallet and posed for a photo under a Kara Goucher sign. See the mountains in the background? Aren't they gorgeous?


The next three days were all about the WebWise conference. This conference is basically the coolest conference for the geekiest people. Everyone works in either a museum or a library, everyone has a MacBook or an iPhone (most people had both), and the official Twitter hastag (#webwise) was prominently displayed everywhere. I attended a fantastic pre-conference on Digital Repository Management (thrilling, I know!) and learned about so many cool and innovative projects in my field. WebWise never fails to re-inspire the librarian in me, and inspiration couldn't have come at a better time. 

 
Vegan chocolate cream pie at Water Course Foods

Other highlights of Denver included: Ink, a great coffee shop where I ordered my daily soy latte (a travel extravagence);  Water Course Foods, a vegetarian restaurant where I dined twice, the first time by myself (I'd never gone to a restaurant and asked for a table for one before, and it was a cool little experience - plus the food was amazing); my first ever massage (at the hotel on our last night - I enjoyed it, and not least of all for the lotion that the masseuse rubbed into my dry, itchy skin); and walking up and down the 16th Street Mall, where automobiles were not allowed but free streetcars whizzed up and down the road and the trees lit up at night with little white lights. 

 

All in all, an excellent trip, a great conference, and delicious food. Colorado, you're okay by me! 



2 comments:

  1. Dude, I am in love with the picture of that ceiling! Your food pics are mouthwatering, but that ceiling is beyond spectacular. Gave me chills.

    Also, I'm not a vegan, but vegan-friendly, and have recently discovered the joy of vegan baking. That pie looks scrumptious! (I also couldn't live through a single month without a pan of vegan coconut-kahlua brownies.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is the best ceiling ever. I'd love to do my bedroom like that!

    Also - comment from TKOG! I feel Internet famous! (In my head, anyway.)

    ReplyDelete