Tuesday, March 16, 2010

recipe: apple pie

Let me begin this post by letting y'all know that I'm about to take a mini-break from blogging. Nothing serious, but it's spring break and I need to spend some time away from the Internet. Never fear - I'll be back in full force before you even have time to miss me! In the meantime, might I recommend distracting yourself from my absence by baking a delicious apple pie?

A pi pie!

This past Sunday was Pi Day, which is celebrated each year on March 14th. Pi, in case you didn't know, is the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle - a never ending number which is usually rounded off to 3.14. Hence, when the date is March 14th (3-14), we are required by law to celebrate by eating pie. That's my understanding, anyway.

As I cannot let a food related holiday slip by without participating, I baked an apple pie. I served up warm slices covered in vanilla vegan ice-cream to Nathan, Amy and David, and we devoured it while watching three back-to-back episodes of Lost (we are now officially caught up!). I adapted the recipe from All Recipes, and it was mightly delicious.

Vegan Apple Pi 
1 recipe for a 9 inch double crust pie (I used this recipe)
1/2 cup Earth Balance
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
6 apples, peeled and cored (I used a mix of red, green and yellow apples) 
Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.

2. Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the apples, making sure to distribute evenly. Leave about 2 Tbsp in the pan.
3. Cover pie with second crust. Cut a fancy design into the dough (such as the symbol for pi). Brush the crust with the remaining butter/sugar mixture.
4. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350F. Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.

That should hold y'all over for a week or two. Until next time!
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Uh ... we celebrate pi day twice in March in Oregon ... yeah, that's the ticket ... and it just so happens to be today, because if you divide some numbers by some others and add some others, it equals 3.14! And you're here! Great! Get busy.

    ReplyDelete