Monday, March 29, 2010

weekend recap - cookbooks and tulips

Tulips blooming on campus! 

Spring is definitely here, and not a moment too soon! I had an amazing weekend, as usual. Here are the highlights: 


One of my Goals for 2010 was to cook my way through almost all the recipes in Veganomicon, my favorite cookbook. While I have been quiet on this front, it's only because I've been busy! Forcing yourself to cook everything from one (huge) cookbook is a really great experiment. I've moved out of my comfort zone and tackled recipes I normally wouldn't look twice at, either because the ingredient list is too long or because it asks me to use both a food processor AND a blender. Last night's dinner was one such recipe - Mole Skillet Pie with Greens. It took about an hour and a half to put together, but 30 of those minutes were spent in the oven, and the end product was definitely worth the amount of dishes it produced. The secret to this recipe? Chili chocolate mole sauce. I'm serious. Make it as soon as possible and you will not be disappointed!


Saturday was fairly busy, but in a pleasant way. It involved a 9am yoga class, a trip to the Farmers' Market where we purchased the tulips pictured above, apartment cleaning and grocery shopping, a sunny backyard visit with the MRTs to drop off Thank-You-For-Watching-Seamus-Over-Spring-Break-Cookies, and an evening eating pizza and watching movies with friends.


On Sunday, I accomplished two very important things. The first was a ten mile run with Amy. I had not run since before Spring Break and I was already sore from yoga, but we have a half marathon in two weeks and I really want a new PR! So off we went. It was a gorgeous day for a run and we finished in 1 hour and 37 minutes, which was slightly faster than I had planned. Excellent! After showering and eating, I settled down on the couch with a cup of coffee and my number one pup, and spent a solid two hours working on my writing. I made progress on a new short story, researched some journals that accept flash fiction, and picked out a near finished short short to edit and polish in the morning. In the morning, I woke up at 5:30am, made coffee and did a killer core workout (the Ab Pyramid - thanks, Phoenix!), edited, polished and sent my piece off to three journals. This, I believe, will be my new Sunday/Monday routine. Writing on Sundays is easy to do (I can get all my other responsibilities out of the way on Saturday) and making a plan for Monday morning pretty much guarantees I won't hit the snooze button twelve times. I feel like I'm really making progress and growing as a writer right now, and I don't want to lose that momentum! 

So that was my weekend. How was yours?

2 comments:

  1. I have a question concerning the recipe:

    What is the easiest way to go about procuring enough moles for the recipe? Will my years of training at Whack-A-Mole come in handy, or is it easier just to buy frozen?

    Good luck on the half-marathon! We got your postcard, thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! It's mole-AY, mole-AY! And I'm glad you got the postcard! :)

    ReplyDelete