Wednesday, April 07, 2010

adventure ahead!

In an effort to distract myself from UNCG's funding limbo, I've been plotting my racing and training schedule for the next few months. As a Planner who is unable to Plan until I know where I'll be living come September, this has been a boon for my sanity and general well being. Plus racing is fun!

This weekend, I am running a half marathon - the Davy Crockett Bear Chase - in a little town about an hour from here, called Groveton. I've never been to Groveton but have heard it described as a "one horse town." The race begins at the local high school and when someone asked for directions to said school, laughter ensued. I have since gathered that the high school is not hard to find.

After I totally PR at the half marathon by running it in less than two hours (power of positive thinking, y'all!) I have a break until the first weekend in May. On Saturday, May 1, I will be running a local race - the Fredonia 5-Miler. I plan on doing lots of speed workouts in preparation for this race, but since it will be my first five mile race, I'll PR no matter what. ;) After the race, Nathan, Amy, David and myself will hop in a car and drive to Forney, Texas for the Warrior Dash! This race is only 3.5 miles long, but features crazy obstacles, including mud and fire! I've been looking forward to this race since February, and I can't believe it's almost here!

Then it's just hardcore training as I prepare for the big one - an Olympic length triathlon on July 18. That's a 1500 yard open water swim, followed by a 23 mile bike ride, followed by a 6.2 mile run. While I can easily bike and run those distances, doing them one after another will be challenging. And I still have a LOT of work to do on my swimming, but I'm actually looking forward to it. (Especially since it will be summer - swimming will be a welcome joy in a few weeks!)

And because I love plans, I searched long and hard for a good training schedule that would best suit me. I finally settled on one which recommends times instead of distances (IE, 30 minute run vs. 3 mile run), and I while I kept the same amount and lengths of workouts, I switched the days around to work with my schedule. There are two important things to note with this plan. The first is that Saturdays will be my hardest workout, called a Brick. This is when you immediately follow a bike ride with a run. (I believe they're called "bricks" because that's what your legs feel like when you start running.) The second thing is that my rest day is... Sunday! This is amazing, as Sundays have traditionally been my long run day. I can't believe I'll have a whole summer of Sundays where I sleep in, make pancakes and then take the dog for a leisurely walk before doing whatever I want. It's going to be awesome!

I'm embedding my training plan via Google calendar, which I use for everything. Check it out and play along, if you're so inclined!

No comments:

Post a Comment