Friday, April 30, 2010

check in: ten goals for oh ten

First of all, thanks for the comments on my last post. Y'all are the nicest friends a lady could have, and I appreciate you indulging my moments of self loathing. I am happy to inform you that I am feeling 100 times better today.

And since I'm feeling so much better, I thought it would be a good time to review my ten goals for oh ten and see how far I've come during the first half of the year. Also, checking in now gives me over six months to get cracking on the goals that have since remained untouched. With that said, I'm actually doing pretty well!

Goal 1: Get Published. I did this! One of my short stories has been accepted for publication by LIT, which is nothing to shake a stick at. I am also sending out work fairly regularly, and getting rejections in the mail on a weekly basis. (This, by the way, is a good thing. It denotes chutzpah, stubbornness and perseverance, all of which are vital qualities for Writers to possess.

Goal 2: Run a marathon. Done and done. 

Goal 3: Complete a century ride. Currently getting back on the bike and planning to sign up for the Hotter'N'Hell Hundred in August. And, since I am not moving to North Carolina, I can also do the Pineywoods Purgatory for the third year running riding. (Har, har.)

Goal 4: Cook (almost) every recipe from Veganomicon. Believe it or not, I am steadily working through this gigantic cookbook. I am probably half way done, and try to cook at least one or two new things a week. I'll have to step it up if I'm going to finish the book by December!

Goal 5: Have at least one adventure per month. January was the second half of our New York trip; February was the marathon; March was our Oregon adventure; April is... um... damn it. It's been a pretty quiet month. Oops.

Goal 6: Get finances under control once and for all. My credit card is so close to being paid off, and I'm actually putting a little bit of money in my savings each month. Soon I will have nothing but twenty five years worth of student loan payments! Yay?

Goal 7: Clear the clutter from my home, my life and my living areas. Major progress has been made on this goal! We are having a huge yard sale in May, and even Nathan has been gung-ho about getting rid of the stuff we don't use/need. So exciting!

Goal 8: Learn to brew beer. No progress to report at this time.  Hopefully by the fall.

Goal 9: Discover and embrace my personal style. Working on it. This past weekend I started wearing my dresses again. It's so much easier to be fashionable when the weather is nice!

Goal 10: Read 25 books before 2011. I am currently at six books, which means I am behind schedule but not by much. I am really determined to reach this goal, as I fell woefully short in 2009 (I topped out at 15 books - so depressing!)

Overall, I am quite pleased with my progress. I have good goals for the year and I'm on track to achieving just about all of them. Which just goes to show that it doesn't matter where you are, but what you do with what you have. Also, that you always have more than you think. I promise.

6 comments:

  1. You've inspired me to updated by 101 in 1000 days list! Thank you Chrissy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Martha! I didn't finish my 101 list by the deadline, so now it's just a life list. I added it to my blog in the header links!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Look at you go. You amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all for your century ride, but Hotter 'N' Hell does seem like torture. The same organizers also do another ride in October, which is actually longer (though not competitive like HNH 100), but is also historical! That could be your October adventure, too! A colleague of mine is one of the organizers, so I guess I'm biased, but if I weren't going to be a new mom, I would be all about this ride! http://www.texasfortstour.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not planning on competing in the HNH, just riding to finish. But I am intrigued by the fort tour! Also, you will have given birth by time the Shiner Bock ride rolls around next May - let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if Baby T will be happy to do a 100 mile ride in one of those baby seats? I wonder if my butt will be up to it? If nothing else, I'll meet you at the finish line for the beer!

    ReplyDelete