Wednesday, April 21, 2010

recipe: summer strawberry cake


If I were trapped on an island and surrounded by devastatingly handsome men, but could only eat one food for the rest of my life, and that food was strawberries? I would be totally fine, I promise, BRING ON THE DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME MEN ISLAND!

Seriously though - I love strawberries, especially in the spring, and especially when I buy them at my local farmers' market. What's not to love? Sweet, delicious and one cup contains 150% of your daily vitamin C while clocking in at just 50 calories!

Strawberries are admittedly less healthy when served atop a cake, but hey - we do what we can. And as this cake is frosting-free, we can easily pretend that it's totally good for you. Right? Right! Now get thee to a kitchen and bake this cake immediately!


Summer Strawberry Cake (adapted from NYAM)

3 cups unbleached flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
4 tablespoons ground flax seed 1 1/2 cup lukewarm water
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup oil
2 cup white sugar
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
4 tablespoons confectioner's sugar

1. Spray an 9" x 13" pan with baking spray and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon into a bowl and set aside.

3. Combine flax seed meal with the warm water in a large bowl. Whisk the mixture vigorously for about 30 seconds or until it thickens up to a consistency similar to beaten eggs.

4. Mix in the vanilla extract and oil, then beat in the sugar until everything is well combined (I used a hand mixer on a low speed.)

5. Stir in the sifted flour mixture until a smooth batter forms, then spread the batter into the prepared pan.

6. Place the strawberries, skin-side up, over the batter.

7. Bake the cake in the center of a preheated oven for about 30 minutes (my oven is a fast cooker, so you may want to check yours to make sure it's finished).

8. Allow the cake to cool completely before dusting with confectioners sugar. Enjoy!

    5 comments:

    1. TOTALLY GONNA MAKE THIS NEXT WEEK!!!! Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    2. PLEASE DO! And let me know how it turns out. You can be my official recipe tester!

      ReplyDelete
    3. So pretty! You are becoming quite the cook.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Why did I choose right now, when I am very hungry, to catch up on your blog? Hows about you just come over right now and bring this with you? Oh darm! You're warrior dashing. Oh well. I'll have my cake...

      ReplyDelete
    5. Awesome job! Your cake looks lovely :)

      ReplyDelete