If I were trapped on an island and surrounded by devastatingly handsome men, but could only eat one food for the rest of my life, and that food was strawberries? I would be totally fine, I promise, BRING ON THE
Seriously though - I love strawberries, especially in the spring, and especially when I buy them at my local farmers' market. What's not to love? Sweet, delicious and one cup contains 150% of your daily vitamin C while clocking in at just 50 calories!
Strawberries are admittedly less healthy when served atop a cake, but hey - we do what we can. And as this cake is frosting-free, we can easily pretend that it's totally good for you. Right? Right! Now get thee to a kitchen and bake this cake immediately!
Summer Strawberry Cake (adapted from NYAM)
3 cups unbleached flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
4 tablespoons ground flax seed 1 1/2 cup lukewarm water
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup oil
2 cup white sugar
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
4 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
1. Spray an 9" x 13" pan with baking spray and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon into a bowl and set aside.
3. Combine flax seed meal with the warm water in a large bowl. Whisk the mixture vigorously for about 30 seconds or until it thickens up to a consistency similar to beaten eggs.
4. Mix in the vanilla extract and oil, then beat in the sugar until everything is well combined (I used a hand mixer on a low speed.)
5. Stir in the sifted flour mixture until a smooth batter forms, then spread the batter into the prepared pan.
6. Place the strawberries, skin-side up, over the batter.
7. Bake the cake in the center of a preheated oven for about 30 minutes (my oven is a fast cooker, so you may want to check yours to make sure it's finished).
8. Allow the cake to cool completely before dusting with confectioners sugar. Enjoy!