Wednesday, May 19, 2010

flexible and forgiving


I'm not very flexible. I mean that both literally (which is why I'm so dedicated to yoga - I need all the help I can get!) and figuratively (you want to change plans at the last minute? UNACCEPTABLE!). I work on the flexibility thing every day, and every day I get a little bit better. For example, I can now touch my toes without bending my knees at a 90 degree angle, AND I have calmly altered my triathlon training plan without freaking out or gritting my teeth.  

You see, I am now eight weeks out from my very first, Olympic length triathlon. While I made a training plan a few weeks ago, I haven't exactly stuck with it. The last two weeks have been busy, which has made putting off workouts and skipping bicycle rides all too easy, plus the indoor pool I like most closed at the end of the semester, leaving me on dry land. These are reasons I've been slacking, yes, but they aren't excuses. Therefore, starting this week, I'm taking my training up a notch and revising my original plan.

A few notes on this plan. I made it up, so while it works for me it might not work for someone with different needs, strengths, weakness, or schedules. I have come to realize I'm actually not a terrible swimmer. Slow, but not terrible. Biking, on the other hand - I need some work, mostly on the hills. I'm a pretty strong runner, and mostly just need to practice Bricks - biking, followed immediately by a run. Keeping that in mind, the new plan is below - you can click to enlarge it. I have scheduled three running days in a row but Fridays will be optional, depending on how my body feels. Also, while all the bicycle rides say "20 miles," some of these will be a little longer. I ride with two local groups, and 20 miles tends to be the minimum. I'm hoping for a few longer rides on Saturdays, especially since I have the Century ride in August in the back of my mind! But first - one thing at a time.

Chrissy's Triathlon Training Plan


I feel pretty good about this plan, and will do my best to stick with it. However, I will remember that life happens, things come up, trips must be taken, and sometimes a nap is more important than yoga class. Above all else, I will listen to my body and be honest with myself.

Has anyone out there ever done a triathlon? Do you have any advice or suggestions you'd like to share? I'd love to hear what you have to say, and any insight you can give!

5 comments:

  1. Obviously I only get what you choose to share with the world, so I may not be seeing the whole picture, but, I envy your ability to stay busy while also getting in healthy amounts of R&R. For the past few months I've been entirely unmotivated and spending more time on the R&R side of the equation. Not healthy after starting a new business. Really need to start a fire under my ass, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My long term fitness goal is to do a triathalon.. maybe next year. Good luck with the training, can't wait to hear about it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving the PASS OUT day. If only the plan could be full of those!

    I am just beginning the couch to 5K plan so have a ways to go before I can catch you up there but it looks fab - good luck!!

    Sarah

    http://thesecretistobelieve.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Michael - 90% of what I post occurs between the hours of 5:30am-7:30am, or on the weekends. True fact! Also, I hear you about needing a fire under your ass. I go through waves of productivity and general sloth. Right now I'm riding a wave of good stuff, and I'm hoping it lasts!

    @The Pieces - Start small and work your way up! One sport at a time, and eventually you'll be able to put them together. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway. ;)

    @Sarah - Yes, "Pass Out" is the day I am most looking forward to. Thanks for noticing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never done a triathlon but I keep saying that I'm going to someday. I know I need to just schedule one and DO it...but I also need to buy a bike first.

    Good luck with the rest of your training! (And I love your scheduled "pass out" day haha)

    ReplyDelete