Thursday, May 27, 2010

recipe: garlicky hummus


Lately, I've been examining the prepacked foods that I buy and seeing if I can't make them myself, from scratch. It's usually way cheaper and ups my probability of surviving the zombie apocalypse. (Seriously - who wants to live in a world without delicious foods? Not I!) So far, I've had success with polenta, black bean burgers, and pesto, but one thing I have never made from scratch has been hummus.

Until this week, that is. Any vegan worth her salt should have an easy and delicious hummus recipe on hand, and I can finally join the ranks of those who know how to puree their way to garlicky bliss. I especially like this recipe because it doesn't require tahini. I have nothing against tahini, expect for the fact that I use it so rarely I can't justify the cost, and I don't think this recipe suffers for leaving it out. Also, I urge you to think of this as a base, ready and willing to take on anything you might add to the mix - artichokes, roasted red peppers, dill, spinach... the possibilities are endless!

A word of caution - if you make this as is, stick a breath mint in your pocket. I love garlic, which is good because after I ate this for lunch, I tasted it all day!


Garlicky Hummus

1.5 - 2 cups chickpeas
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin

Directions: 
Combine ingredients in a food processor until smooth and creamy. Store in an air tight container for up to three days in the fridge.

10 comments:

  1. Noms! I have loved hummus since some Lebanese friends taught me how to make it over 20 years ago (showing my age here). I've always left out the tahini because I don't like it as much when it's added. My favorite is when it has red peppers--thanks for inspiring me to make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ashley - thanks! That means a lot coming from you. Your photos are always so beautiful!

    @Michelle - I'm glad to know there's another person out there who can take or leave tahini!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the tahini & lot's of garlic, thank u 4 the recipes. I will enjoy it

      Delete
  3. So I stumbled upon your comment on Yes and Yes-when I read about anyone who enjoys MArathon training I always think, I want to know them...cause usually the desire to run 26.2 is seen as a little twisted.

    Anyway-cute blog, I'm very admitring of your new commitment to start the Tri training (I'm terrified of bikes after getting hit a few months ago when running).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenn! Thanks for your comment. You got hit by a bike while running? That sucks - I hope you were okay! Maybe if you try riding a bike in a secluded area until you feel more comfortable will work? Triathlon training is definitely tough, but it helps me look forward to marathon training this fall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this flavor! This is so cute! I would love to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you posted recipes for your other successes you mentioned here, like the black bean burgers? I looked around for them, but didn't see them. If you haven't yet, maybe you can do that soon? Please? I'd love a good recipe for a black bean burger. New to your site, btw, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vegannewbie - I have not posted the black bean burger recipe yet, but I will put it on my list! I also have a sweet potato burger which I need to make again - thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited to try this! I'm allergic to tahini so can't eat most forms of hummus from stores or restaurants. So I am thrilled to find a tahini-free version.

    ReplyDelete