Wednesday, May 12, 2010

summer fun itinerary

The spring semester ends on Friday, and as I still measure my life by the university's rhythms, that means one thing: SUMMER! The library is open year round so I don't get a summer vacation, but that's not going to stop me from making the most of my very favorite season. Here's how:



Fruit filled desserts! I'm talking blueberry pies, peach cobblers, strawberry shortcakes and blackberry jam. I'm also going to enter the pie contest at the Blueberry Festival, even though last year's experience left much to be desired.

Festivals and fairs! The Oldest Town in Texas knows how to have a good time, and I am looking forward to the Multicultural Festival (Indian food!), the Texas Blueberry Festival (pancake breakfast!) and Freedom Fest (fireworks!).


Swimming holes and picnics! Here in East Texas, we have many swimming holes to choose from, and I plan on dipping my toes in all of them. Oversized tubes, cold beers, sticky sunblock and peanut butter sandwiches are a given.

Baby showers and birthdays! With two new babies on the way and a million summer birthdays (including mine!) summer is always full of parties and celebrations. As it should be.


Not to mention: my first triathlon, a visit to New York for my grandparents' 80th birthday, skirts and sandals, and paperback novels in the grass at the park. Have I missed anything? Let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome list! Hopefully I get to do much of the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Summer is for making the most of every moment, even the humid ones. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watermelon is its own category! :) Although I bet we can take some to the swimmin' holes. Can't wait until Molly and Seamus can try out their float coats together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I am enjoying the evolution of the design of your blog. I love the trees banner! Very foresty and fresh-airy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mary T! I wanted something seasonal that said "Pineywoods." This is from Merci and Tracy's place, so I think it works. ;)

    ReplyDelete