Wednesday, May 26, 2010

triathlon training update


I'm training for an Olympic length triathlon on July 18th. You can read more about my training plan here.

When I first posted my training plan, I talked about being "flexible and forgiving." A week and a half into said plan, and I'm already putting both those concepts into practice!

Turns out, triathlon training takes up a lot of time - specifically, a lot of time biking! Swimming is easy to fit in - twice a week at the pool, and in 40 minutes and I can get my mile done. (I know, because today I swam a full mile for the first time! Progress! Also, boo-yah!) Running is just as easy - again, I run in the morning (before it reaches 97 degrees) and I'm done in less than an hour (though I do miss longer runs). But biking? Biking must be done after work, because it's safer to ride with a group and when there's ample daylight. Because I ride with a group, and because the group always rides at least 20 miles, we're talking an hour and a half of my evening - on top of the hour I spent training in the morning! I wanted to get in three rides a week, and I'm discovering that I may have been overly ambitious. Even though I can handle it physically, that much time is both emotionally and mentally draining, not to mention exhausting! I don't know how Iron(wo)men do it.

Last year at the Pineywoods Purgatory, when I rode 72 miles with little to no training. Oops! 

So, while I will not rule out three rides a week, I think that most weeks I'll only ride twice. And that's okay. It's enough training to get me through the 24 mile bike leg of my triathlon while still leaving me the time and energy to enjoy my weekends and evenings. Because, while I love racing and training, I am not a full time athlete. I have a job, and a family, and a social life, all of which are just as important as my race schedule. (Excuse me, I mean MORE important. Ahem.) I feel like I'm becoming more balanced with all these things, and that's one of the best results my training plan has offered.

Are you an athlete, aspiring and otherwise, with a full time job? How do you fit it all in?

7 comments:

  1. I am only taking the first baby steps really on the couch to 5K plan, but even that is hard to fit in.

    I have to get up and run early in the mornings in order to fit it in at all.

    I think you are doing fantastically well to fit in all you are fitting in - your are already some kind of wonderwoman in my estimation!!

    Good luck!

    http://thesecretistobelieve.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sarah - I love Couch to 5K! It's such a good way to start running. I remember a time (seems so long ago!) when I wondered if I would ever be able to work out in the morning - getting up and exercising seemed daunting. Now, it's my favorite time of day! Funny how that happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fit it all in by going in to work really early. This morning I went in at 2:30 and am about to go on a nice run at about 3:30. It's daylight until almost 8:00 so that helps. I am currently taking advantage of a very athletic friend (boss) that takes me on her hikes/runs at lunch. It won't last, so I'm enjoying it now. That, or I go to the gym late at night or do stuff at home :( Sometimes I just sleep. It's hard when you work a million hours, but it's the dedication that keeps me alive. You can't just be an athlete. You have to want to be one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt athletic before pregnancy, but now I'm not fitting in much of anything other than baby.

    I have not found a happy balance yet but strive to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah! My new strategy? Signing up for races and telling work no for a change. Sorry, I a race that day. Already paid for! Chrissy, I LOVE that you are signed up for things in 2011 already. That made me smile and high five you in fake high five land.

    You are the number one thing that keeps me going. Seriously.

    Zay, get you a baby backpack :) Hit those trails. You'll get there again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Bobbie - do you mean you go to work at 2:30 in the MORNING?! If so, you are way more bad ass than me! I consider up by 5:30am a great success!

    @Zay - you are just over 100 days out from childbirth. ;) I think you deserve an appropriate rest period before jumping back into the gym! I think your happy balance is right around the corner. xo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, 2:30 in the morning. Not a bad-ass, but a dumb-ass :)

    ReplyDelete