Friday, June 11, 2010

friday countdown

This past week was about 100% better than the previous one, mostly because I did not have teeth forcibly ripped from my gums and thus was in little to no pain AND could eat solid foods to my heart's (and stomach's) content. Never underestimate the power of comfort! I usually do a +/- for the week, but I actually can't think of any -'s, which is a good thing! So here are some +'s along with a look towards the weekend.


Yesterday I took Seamus to the vet for a long overdue check-up. He has a bad case of the fleas and all our usual remedies were not working, so a new medication was obtained. While there, he also got a shot for heartworms (and tested negative - whew!) and had his blood tested (perfect health!). Seamus is a very social dog, but he does NOT like the vet and as soon as we entered the waiting room he began shaking like a leaf and trying to hide behind me. This was especially funny after he was weighed and we discovered that he is, in fact, 108 pounds. Picture a dog of that size shaking so hard his teeth are chattering, and I can assure you - it was as hysterical as it sounds. Lucky for Seamus (and us) the flea medication is already working. I found tons of dead buggers on the couch this morning, and I'm looking forward to washing and vacuuming everything in the apartment this weekend. Oh, and speaking of Seamus, I made a flickr album specifically for his mug. If you're feeling down at any point during the day, I recommend looking through it. Seamus is excellent for lifting spirits!


Here in East Texas, it rained all week. Usually this is not cause for celebration, except for the fact that prior to this week we'd been experiencing drought conditions. The rain was a welcome change! Suddenly everything is green and lush, standing up straight and leaning towards the (cloudy) sky. Even our bed of day lilies, which we'd just about given up on, have sprung tight buds which should open any day now. I'm glad because, as you can see from the above photo of last year's specimens, they're beautiful.

After a week off from training and rearranging our race schedule, I took my workouts down a notch this week. And by down a notch, I mean I've been exercising once a day, for 30 minutes-one hour, instead of twice a day for two hours. At first I felt guilty, but then I realized that one workout a day is perfectly adequate and also, whoa! I have so much more energy and time! I'm still planning to do the triathlon in August, but when I rewrite my training plan this weekend, I am going to be a little less ambitious and a little more realistic. I love racing, but I also love having a life. Balance, baby. We'll find it!



Last Sunday I went to a goodbye party for some acquaintances. Amy served a glass pitcher of ice-water with lemon slices, and it was the best. drink. ever. I liked it so much (in a fancy wine glass, of course) that I didn't even bother drinking alcohol. Amy also made my Strawberry Summer Cake, except she used a horse-shaped cake pan which somehow made it taste even better than usual. Cute food is the best.

This weekend shall be dedicated to home improvements, bicycle rides, blueberries and the first meeting of Old Town Scrabble. I'll be back on Monday with a full report. Until then, enjoy the day!

6 comments:

  1. Really happy to hear about the negative heart-worm test! Whew. I wish he could visit my vet, she is the absolute best and I've seen her make scared dogs start barking and wagging in seconds. Great + list and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute food IS the best! I have a horse shaped pan, too, but I have yet to bake with it. I've got to change that soon, because a horse shaped pan is too cute to pass up.

    Speaking of cute - SEAMUS IS TOO ADORABLE! Poor guy for being so scared, what a sweet boy. I'm glad he is healthy and doing well, that must be such a relief.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bobbie - He warmed up the vet after a bit, but as soon as someone new came into the room it was the shakes all over again! Poor boy.

    @Voracious Vegan - Seamus thanks you! And yes, knowing he's healthy is a relief, even though I figured as much. (He is quite spoiled!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the strawberry cake yesterday; it was good but not nearly that cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seamus is absolutely adorable! He really is a pro at lifting spirits, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the lilies! We have a bed too, that I'm hoping will be in bloom for a party at our house on the 26th. They are too pretty not to share, but I'm afraid they will be gone by then. :(

    ReplyDelete