Wednesday, June 09, 2010

good advice


I have definitely upped my blog reading and downsized my book reading the last few months. This is clear by the number of blogs to which I am currently subscribed (128!) and the number of books I have read thus far in 2010 (7!). I have been making an effort to READ MORE BOOKS by cutting myself off from the Internet once I get home from work, and going to bed a half an hour earlier in order to get in some quality time with my latest novel before drifting off to sleep. It's important to unplug on a regular basis, to read deeply, carefully, instead of always skimming the surface of whatever photo filled blog post is at the top of my RSS feed. (Not that there's anything wrong with blogs. I'm just looking for some balance here. As usual.) 

It's ironic that I'm posting this today, as it The New Me's 5 Year Blogiversary! I wanted to do a giveaway but as I have not yet settled on or secured a prize, I'm going to wait on that. This is an important lesson I learned from my last giveaway, especially as I am mailing out the prize this week (only 17 months late... oops.). In the meantime, I will simply say thank you for reading and making this blog a project that both distracts and delights me. And if you've read any good books lately, let me know so I can stay on track with my reading goals!

8 comments:

  1. Cut back on your blog reading if you must, but please - please! - don't cut back on writing! I love to sit down and read what you and all the other blog writers I follow (not near as many as you, btw) have written during Wyatt's naptime! Don't take that away from me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you're so nice. Don't worry - I will not cut back on my blogging. I'm too much of a narcissist for that. And I won't cut back on reading your blog either - I already love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second cmm's comment. As long as you are writing, I am happy.

    Mailed package today! Guess we will call it a blogiversary giftie.

    Happy 5 Years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an academic so I read al the livelong day, but since most of it is serious reading, I don't feel guilty about reading a lot of blogs, too. I've read 8 or 9 novels so far this year and am half-way through a fun non-fiction book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mostly read blogs as a break from work. So maybe I need to watch less TV. That could be the real culprit here!

    8-9 books this year so far is great! My goal is 25 before 2011 and I'm way behind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My trick for heavy book reading is to go home to visit and let my mom take over all my duties :) I got 4 books read in two weeks last time I was home! Pure heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 5th Blogthday! That is a long time blogging! xoxo

    ReplyDelete