Thursday, June 24, 2010

lgrab summer games part II


I am once again doing the challenges for the Let's Go Ride a Bike Summer Games at the last minute - deadline for Part II is Sunday! And speaking of Part II, it's "Learning Experiences." The two challenges I've decided to undertake are "perform a maintenance task" - coming this weekend! - and "decorate your bike" - coming right now!


Okay, so putting a bumper sticker on your bike is probably not the most creative or exciting thing I could have done. Here's my excuse: this very awesome bumper sticker was on our car's bumper, where a bumper sticker should be. However, Nathan started a new job a few weeks ago at a very small company in town, and was advised by his superiors to remove any stickers that could possibly be viewed as confrontational. At first, I was up in arms about this but quickly realized that they were not, in fact, specifically targeting our Darwin fish and puppy puns - no one at the company has bumper stickers of any political persuasion on their vehicles. And so, we removed our stickers and tossed them - all except for "Dog is my Co-Pilot." I love this sticker and decided to put it on my bicycle instead. End excuse. :)

Challenge two is coming soon, and then before you know it we'll be at Part III - the final challenges! See you at the finish line!

6 comments:

  1. Gotta love East Texas. Not sure how I would have handled that little bit of "advice."

    I'm sorry your bike is heavy :( Giants are usually right up there with the best of them! My Trek weighs about 600 pounds! Sorry for recommending the heavy one :( I feel bad. It's so pretty though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bumper sticker, I'm glad you saved it and transferred it to your bike where it can live on. While I decorated my cruiser with flowers, there's just something about a sportier bike that begs for some word art. I also stuck stickers to my mountain bike, most prominently a yellow and blue HRC equality sticker. Yay for 'confrontational messages' ;)

    Thanks for your comment on my new bike site, I'm happy to have you there! I also added your site to my bike love blogroll for the lack of having a running-related list yet. I am really bad about commenting usually, but I do visit your site and always love the mix of recipes, photos, and running related posts :) Lots of my favorite things.

    S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to see "Dog is my co-pilot" still lives on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Bobbie - I got my bike used and it's not been particularly well taken care of (I am partly to blame for that!). I would like to keep it as a commuter bike, but get a nicer one for training and racing. We'll see!

    @S - Thank you so much! I don't comment on academichic too much, but I read every. single. thing y'all post. So glad you like my blog too!

    @Zay - I think the sticker likes it's new home. I know I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, nice story. Reminds me of the time my mom, a kindergarten teacher, had to borrow my college-era car to drive to work one day. With a big "Fuck censorship" bumper sticker, which she did not consider before setting off. She was very embarrassed when asked to censor it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked as a HR assistant and had to type up absence / tardy phone calls to fax (it was 10 years ago) to the plant leaders each morning. I once typed "god having puppies" instead of dog having puppies".

    ReplyDelete