Thursday, June 17, 2010

the newest new me


When I started blogging over seven years ago, I treated my "online journal" much the same way I treated my paper one - I wrote about my life, my thoughts, my adventures, my experiences and my goals. I still write about these things (and I suspect I always will) but the older I get, the more focused my interests and goals become. Chrissy at 22 was trying to figure out who she was and what she wanted by writing her way through life; Chrissy at (nearly) 28 knows who she is, what she wants, and uses her writing to plot and plan her way to achieving those things (and then celebrating once she gets there!).

My blog has always been a place where I can share the things I'm passionate about with the people who care to follow along. Right now my passion lies in living a good life, and that means being creative, healthy, expressive, joyful and adventurous, and these are the things I've been blogging about.

In keeping with the constantly evolving nature of life, I've been slowly making some changes around The New Me over the last few months. The design of the blog has changed significantly (thanks to Blogger's new template designer!) and so has the focus. In an effort to help myself produce posts that are good, interesting, and entertaining enough to keep y'all coming back, I've developed a loose sort of schedule for my blogging. I've actually been following this for the last few weeks, so it probably won't come as a surprise. And make no mistake - my blogging won't be limited to what you read below. Oh, no. There will also be crafty projects, race reports, camping adventures, thoughts on writing and publishing, and a plethora of other things that pop into my mind on a daily basis, just as you've come to expect. Think of this as the skeleton upon which all those other things are layered. So, without further ado, here's what you can expect from The New Me on a weekly basis:
Mondays - Weekend Adventures
The most "ME" posts on my blog, as the weekend is when I tend to do 90% of my living. I love sharing my adventures on my blog, and I won't lie - the idea of showing up Monday empty handed has made me take more photos, more risks, and say yes to more things than I probably would otherwise.

Tuesdays and Thursdays - Recipes 
I'm no gourmet chef, but cooking is something I love to do. Seriously - it's a CRAFT you can EAT! So I hope you don't mind that I've been posting recipes, and I hope you let me know if you make anything from my blog. 
Wednesday - Training Check In 
I'm always training for something. Instead of posting the gory details of my workouts on a daily basis, I'll discuss my progress once a week, including any lessons I've learned or tips I might be able to share.
Fridays - + / -
A run down, list style, of the last week's highs and lows. I got this idea from Ramsey, and I love how it forces me to reflect on all the things I did or did not do, all the successes I had and all the opportunities I've been given to try again. Plus, I'm usually hard pressed to think of many -'s, and that is a lesson in itself.

Sunday Pupdate
I plan to kick this tradition off this weekend. Basically, I'm going to post the best Seamus photo of the week each Sunday. My dog is awesome and his awesomeness needs to be shared.
So - what do you think? Feedback, comments, critiques? Will you keep reading? Do you even care? Are you worried? Don't be worried. To the casual observer, nothing will change very much at all. But to me, things are slowly improving with each passing day and I like the way that feels. I hope you do, too!

12 comments:

  1. I don't care what you post on what days. I just care that you post entries, period. I <3 Chrissy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yay. I have to admit - I'm most excited about the Pupdates! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super excited about Pupdates and my favorites are Monday's recap and +/-. I do love that you are the only person I know that has a schedule for a blog.

    You are one of a kind. The kind I like :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not worried & I'm not leaving :) Awwww pupdate.. cuteness! I like your regular posts like what you did on the weekend and your recipes always look like EPIC goodness! Did you ever have a Livejournal? That's where I started I think in maybe the year 2000.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all of these ideas and I can't wait to read them. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @The Pieces - I had a Livejournal briefly (I still read my friends' page) but I started blogging at Diaryland way back when. Funny to think back on that! I had fake names for people because I was really paranoid (and writing really, really personal stuff). Good times!

    @Voracious Vegan - thanks for your comment! I really appreciate your kindness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. I think I need to make a plan similar to this, which will probably also include pupdates. :-) Do you mind if I steal that word?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take it! Take it! Stealing is the basis of all great ideas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find that I'm entering a loose schedule as well, much like yours because it feels so natural to the curve of the week. It's crazy how blogging overall has changed, from really more of a self-expression to a goal of attracting and retaining readers. Can't wait to see the new features!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jessica - You're so right. I try not to think too much about attracting and retaining readers, but it does feel good when my hits spike or a I get more comments. I feel like I'm reaching someone and making new friends, being part of a community. I don't do any ads on my blog and I'll never use it to make money, but I do like the feeling of having a base of folks to which I can talk, ask questions, and get support. And to whom I can give all those things, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Today is weekend adventures... hurry up and post it. ;)

    This sounds like a great plan. I may use this for my RR for this summer. I have been feeling the need to post regularly again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favorite things is your +/- updates. After reading these entries I am always inspired to take a closer look at all the good things happening in my life on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete