Tuesday, June 29, 2010

recipe: almost raw chocolate pudding


When I was a kid, my mom made the most glorious chocolate pudding pie the world has ever known. Sure, she used a store bought graham cracker crust, and she made her pudding from a My-T-Fine mix, but I didn't care. It was pure heaven, in pie form. 

The first time I went vegan, I broke it for my mom's chocolate pudding pie. Later that night I regretted my decision, as my intolerance to lactose was now in full swing. I haven't had her pie since, but I've tried to replicate it many times, only to be disappointed again and again. This time, though, I think I've got it.  
 

This recipe is both the best chocolate pudding I've ever made, and the messiest pie I've ever eaten. That's probably because the original recipe doesn't put pour the pudding into a pie - instead, it's eaten with a spoon, from a bowl. I initially served it as the pie you see above, but since scooped the leftovers into our wine glasses, which somehow makes it taste even better. Oh, and you might be wondering about those avocados in the photo. I have an explanation for that. 


Yes! The secret ingredient to this raw chocolate pudding is AVOCADO. I wouldn't have believed if I didn't make it, and trust me - no one at the baby shower where I served this suspected a thing. Best party trick ever. Also, as I served my pudding in a ready made graham cracker pie crust (in homage to my mother) my version wasn't completely raw but that's okay, because neither am I! 

Raw Chocolate Pudding (from the Daily Raw Cafe)
* To make enough for one pie, I made this recipe x 5.  The recipe as follows should serve two easily.

You will need:
1 avocado, diced
¼ c raw agave nectar, or more to taste
¼ c cocoa powder
¼ c water
2 t vanilla extract
¼ t sea salt

Directions: 
Place avocado, agave nectar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and sea salt in a blender. Gradually add 1 tablespoon of water at a time to achieve a creamy consistency.


Yum! 

5 comments:

  1. I never did get a bite of this fine pie. Dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks DELISH! Guess what I made just moments earlier (at last).. the choc raspberry cookies you wrote about a while ago. OH MY, soooooo good! Such a good tasting cookie and I am trying very hard to not eat them all! Thanks a million for recipe.. I will be sure to bake them again and again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally not surprised about the avocado. Not enough people know its true potential...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hay aguacates! Bueno. I like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *The Pieces - so glad you liked the cookies! They've my number one favorite cookie to bake and eat.

    Avocados are amazing!

    ReplyDelete