Tuesday, June 08, 2010

recipe: chocolate-raspberry cookies


If you invite me to an event (a barbecue, a potluck, a Literary Reading) chances are I will come bearing these cookies. They are, in a word, perfect: sweet and chocolaty and chewy, with the brightness of raspberry jam and the perfect hint of almond (the almond is the kicker and the real star of the show). They're from my favorite cookbook, Veganomicon, which, if you haven't already purchased it, what are you waiting for? You can find this particular recipe online, but so many people (you know, from the barbecues, potlucks and literary readings) have asked me for it, that I thought it would be prudent to post it here. Enjoy!


Chocolate-Raspberry Cookies (from Veganomicon

You Will Need: 
1/2 cup raspberry preserves
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions: 
Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease cookie sheet.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the raspberry preserves, sugar, canola oil, vanilla, and almond extract.

In a separate mixing bowl, sift together the other ingredients. Add the dry to the wet in three batches, mixing well with a fork after each addition. When you get to the last batch, you may need to use your hands to work the batter into a soft and pliable dough.

Roll the dough into walnut-size balls and then flatten them with your hands into 2 1/2-inch diameter disks. Place on a cookie sheet (they need be only 1/2 inch apart because they don't spread out when baking). Bake for 10 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. You can also serve these cookies still warm over a scoop of ice-cream.

4 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! I have Veganomicon but I've never noticed these little beauties. That book really is the ultimate vegan cookbook but it definitely suffers from a lack of pictures. It was your lovely photos that convinced me I need to make a batch.

    Thanks for posting the recipe! I love the way you describe the, I can't even imagine how they must taste - yummy for sure!

    Why isn't your blog on my blogroll???? Fixing this problem right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMM raspberries are my favourite flavour in the world! Esp with brown chocolate (I don't get my raspberries always get paired with white chocolate, blergh) I am so going to make these! & I am gonna hunt down this awesome cookbook too xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Voracious Vegan - Thanks for the kind words! You'll definitely like this recipe!

    @The Pieces - I don't really like white chocolate either. What's the point when you can have dark chocolate? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can attest to the greatness of these cookies. I've acquired this recipe long ago from Chrissy and then decided to buy my own Veganomicon. :)

    I haven't made these cookies in a while. I guess I better get to baking.

    ReplyDelete