Tuesday, June 15, 2010

recipe: kitchen cupboard corn muffins


This past Sunday, I was invited to a BYOB breakfast. That is, Bring Your Own Brunch! Despite knowing about the party in advance, I woke up Sunday morning with empty cabinets and nothing brunch worthy in my refrigerator. I tried to think of the easiest thing I could make - something simple and wholesome, that would dazzle the brunch table BUT (and here's the kicker) for which I already had all the ingredients lying around. After sorting through my bags (and bags, and bags) of flour, I finally settled on corn muffins. And dazzle they did! 

When I make corn muffins or corn bread, I always fold in frozen corn before baking because it's delicious. I'm also completely in love with King Arthur Flour Organic Yellow Cornmeal. The texture is rougher than some of the other brands, which makes me feel a little bit like Laura Ingalls Wilder, and it gives these muffins the perfect crunch. Speaking of crunch, these muffins are a bit on the dry side and are best served with a generous slather of Earth Balance. Happy brunching! 

 
You will need:
1¼ cup all purpose flour
1¼ cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp agave nectar
1½ cup almond milk
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 cup frozen corn

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 F and grease a muffin tin.

In one bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, combine agave, oil and milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just moist.

Fold in the frozen corn. Pour dough into muffin tin (this will make enough for 12 medium sized muffins.) Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out dry. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm...I do likes the cornbread. (Imagine that with an accent.)

    Never thought of corn muffins. Sounds delicious. Sounds like something I need to try!

    ReplyDelete