Thursday, June 17, 2010

recipe: mixed berry crisp for two


As you may have noticed, I am a glutton for desserts involving fruit. Pies, cobblers, crisps, muffins, waffles - you name it, I'll find a way to add fruit to it. A few nights ago, I was hit with a craving for a fruity dessert - a craving that had to be answered. I looked through my cookbooks for some inspiration (I will make a masterpiece!), and my cupboards for some cold, hard truths (I will make do with what I have!) and this is what I came up with. The inspiration comes, as usual, from Veganomicon, but my finished product is so far from their original recipe for Coconut Berry Crisp that I'm just going to say that it's an original. ;)


I baked this in a Pyrex loaf pan and consider it a dessert for two, but that's because Nathan eats three times the amount a normal person eats (where he puts it, I will never know) and I have no control when it comes to warm piles of fruit topped with vegan ice-cream. No regrets, either! For all you "normal" people out there, you could probably get away with four servings. But is that a chance you want to take? I didn't think so.
 
Mixed Berry Crisp for Two

You will need:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp Earth Balance

For the filling:
16 oz bag frozen mixed berries (mine contained strawberries, blackberries and raspberries)
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp cold water
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, coconut, sugar and cinnamon. Cut in the Earth Balance using a fork or a pastry knife. Set aside.

In another bowl, mix together the berries, cornstarch, water, sugar and vanilla until well combined and the sugar and cornstarch are dissolved. Pour filling mixture into a loaf pan; sprinkle the flour and coconut mixture over the top and spread evenly.

Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until the top is slightly brown and the filling is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes, then top with vanilla Coconut Dream and enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. That looks effing delicious. (except for the coconut part. That's not essential, right?)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not essential at all! I almost used slivered almonds instead, for an extra crunch. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I don't like coconut OR almonds is there something else I can use for crunch? This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm. You might be able to get away with just skipping the coconut entirely and not miss the crunch - the flour and butter should give it enough crunch once cooked as is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can always make a crumb topping. Yum.

    This looks delicious. Glad you like Veganomicon so much. I have never gotten into it for some reason. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love coconut, but the rest of my family does not. Oh well ... more for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, this sounds so good! I know this post is old, and who leaves comments on old posts? I do, that's who. But I love a good small-scale dessert, and this sounds like a nice weeknight option. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you commented on this old post because you reminded me that it exists. I might have to make this again this weekend. It really is delicious!

    ReplyDelete