Monday, June 14, 2010

weekend adventures

Fresh Blueberry Lemonade from Merci's World Cuisine!

I had a crazy-busy weekend so you'd think I'd have a crazy amount of pictures. Not so. When you're on the go for two straight days, it's hard enough to catch your breath, nevermind snapping photos. At least I have my memories! 

On Saturday, Nathan and I started the day right with a 30 mile group bike ride. I'm pretty sure the group was riding a little slower than usual because I was able to keep up (for the most part). We rode an average of 14 mph, so while they took it easy I definitely pushed it. I may not be fast, but my endurance is excellent! 

After our ride and an obscene amount of chocolate chip waffles, we watched the World Cup game at Brian and Eralda's. Nacogdoches native Clint Dempsey was playing for the USA team, and it was cool to see his name all over town, wishing him luck. Three cheers for hometown heroes! Unfortunately, I had to leave the game early because I had to work a shift at the library's booth at the Texas Blueberry Festival. It was at least 100 degrees and I attempted to cool off with a glass of fresh squeezed blueberry lemonade. It helped, but not nearly enough. Luckily, we shut down a little early and I had time to hang out with my Crafty Ladies before a movie night at J and L's. When I said I was busy, I was not kidding. 

 Nom, nom, nom. Keeping with the weekend's theme, Amy baked blueberry muffins.

Sunday was more of the same. First, delicious vegan brunch was devoured at Vicki and Jeromy's. Then, I went to the inaugural meeting of Old Town Scrabble, the newly official Scrabble Club of Nacogdoches. My friend Brent is the organizer and we are going to be SERIOUS. I started my career as a professional Scrabble player by losing my first game by 7 points. It was pretty awesome. Next meeting is Sunday, July 11th - hope to see you there! 


After Scrabble, we had about six minutes to go home, change clothes, grab the dog, and head to the park for our weekly Kickball Throwdown. It was - again - 100 degrees, but we play mostly in the shade. Seamus had a good time and drank about a gallon of water, and I'm pretty sure my team won, but who knows? Also, I am not getting any better at kickball. Sports involving balls are really not my thing. 

Other highlights included: Kitchen Cupboard Corn Muffins (recipe coming soon!); revising our race schedule again, for the last time (details coming soon!); celebrating some good news with some good sushi (news coming soon!); and borrowing The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake from Mary T (Aimee Bender! EEE!). All in all, a fine weekend in this corner of the world. How about you?

4 comments:

  1. For future reference: when it comes to pancakes, no amount, ever, reaches "obscene" levels. No matter how many you have, there is only ever an "adequate" amount of pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun weekend. We were getting stir-crazy and decided spontaneously Saturday morning to drive to Houston and visit John's parents. It was a nice weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sports involving balls are really not my thing."

    That really made me laugh in more than one way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This whole post makes me very jealous. I'm seriously craving anything blueberry and I love that y'all have a Scrabble team! How much fun!

    ReplyDelete