Monday, June 21, 2010

weekend adventures

Fresh peaches from the Farmers' Market!

Did you think I forgot about my Weekend Adventures post? I did not, and believe me - not being able to post until after my first day at my new job was killing me. On the bright side, my new job is awesome - I'm busy, I share an office with a super nice woman, and we have a huge window. Folks, I believe this is what they refer to as "JACKPOT." Now if I could just learn how to do all my new tasks, I'll be golden. In time, in time.

Also golden? This past weekend. Let me tell you about it!

Friday! After my last day at the library, Nathan and I went out for sushi (which is how we mark every single celebration in Nacogdoches) and then ambled over to the MRTs, to swim in their new pool (which is how we should start celebrating every 100+ degree day in Nacogdoches). Swimming and sipping beer as the sun went down was the perfect way to end my tenure as an SFA librarian.


Josie does flowers right.

Saturday started the usual way - with a 30 mile bike ride. The bike ride was less than awesome. I am the slowest rider AND I have the oldest, heaviest bike - a recipe for low self-esteem and a mostly solo ride, during which I tried not to cry in frustration. Nathan ended up waiting for me and we finished the last ten miles together, which was much more pleasant. I'm thinking of upgrading my road bike, but so far it's just a thought.

After cleaning up and eating pancakes, we headed to the Farmers' Market, where I scored blueberries, peaches, a perfect watermelon, and a bouquet of beautiful flowers from Josie. I love having fresh flowers in the house. They make me feel both earthy and decadent!


In the evening, we headed to the Fredonia to hear the Mustnt's play their last show with our friend Steve, who is moving to Oregon. A bittersweet night, made more so by the fact that Nathan and I spent way too much money on gin and tonics. Since we go to the bar about once every three months, I couldn't feel too badly.

Strawberry-rhubarb pie! Finally!

Sunday started late, as we had some ridiculously expensive gin and tonics to sleep off. We drank coffee in bed and watched Arrested Development while Seamus made funny noises at the end of the bed (a family tradition). I also baked my first every strawberry-rhubarb pie (success!) which I brought to Eralda's and Bryan. We ate it while we watched the Brazil and Ivory Coast soccer game.


Speaking of games, we ended the weekend with our other Sunday tradition - kickball! Final score was 22 to 1. Yes, one. I was on the losing team BUT I  also scored the only run. This makes it seem like I am either really bad at kickball or really lucky. I'll let you decide which. ;) 

And that sums up my rushed report of the weekend! I hope you had a great one as well. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the park, where I will throw a ball for Seamus and recover from my first day at my new job. Until tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. I must now live vicarously (sp?) through your weekend reports. Sounds like it was a fantastic weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The strawberry rhubarb pie looks amazing! I'm glad your first day at the new job went so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your weekend sounds PERFECT! The long bike ride might not have turned out so happily for you (sorry!) but it sounds like you more than made up for it with delicious food and Arrested Development in bed. Is anything better than that show? I think not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know when you go on the Saturday rides! We can be super slow together! Nathan should have my number.

    ReplyDelete