Friday, July 02, 2010

friday +/-

A Gerber Daisy I bought a few weeks ago. I'm a sucker for a pretty flower.

Well kids, we made it through another week! Here's how mine ended up balancing out. 

- The biggest downside was that on Tuesday, I realized that I do not, in fact, have Monday the 5th off for Independence Day. I made the mistake of looking at the academic calendar, and while faculty and students do not have to come in, staff gets the pleasure of working. As I love days off more than anything, this was a hard blow to handle. 

- My iPhone is broken. It won't turn on, no matter how many buttons I hold down, and when I try to restore it using iTunes, iTunes says there's an error and it can't be restored. I've looked at all the advice on the Internet, and tried it all to no avail. I guess I'll have to take it in to an Apple store, which is in Lufkin, which is a drag. My phone is a refurbished 8G that only cost $50, so I'm more concerned about the hassle/lack of phone than anything else. Boo. 

- Speaking of not having a phone, being without mine has made me realize how dependent I've become on the iPhone in such a short amount of time. Apple wins again!

- It's a holiday weekend and I have no plans! Friends, do have any plans you can offer me? I'd be much obliged. 

Awesome poster found here.

In better news...

+ A flash fiction piece I wrote and submitted and got accepted to an online journal hit the virtual stands yesterday. Check it out and feel free to shower me with praise. :)

+ Last night I went to see Eclipse with my lady friends. It was the least worst of all the movies so far and I liked not knowing what was going to happen next. (I quit the books after the second one, per my new favorite quote: "Good writing in, good writing out.") Anytime I spend with the ladies is time well spent, and I am definitely on Team No Shirts.

+ Good workouts this week, including two awesome yoga classes. My headstand has never looked better.

+ I know it's only the 2nd, but so far my July Writing Challenge is going well! I had been in a writing rut, revising the same things over and over with no significant improvements, but I'm really liking the new essay about Texas. It's long overdue. Also! La Historiadora de Moda is also taking part, and her goals put mine to shame.

+ I'm in a good mood. Big whoop, I know, but hey. Good moods should always be celebrated!

And now I am off to walk the dog and warsh my hair before I head to work, as Nathan had to go into the field today (which is a - in my book, but oh well). Have a great Friday and I hope your weekend is nothing but +'s!

11 comments:

  1. I love Gerber daisies! They are definitely one of my favorite flowers. Actually, I guess I love all flowers, but daisies are special. So friendly and cheery!

    CONGRATULATIONS on your piece being accepted, I can't wait to read it. I'm sure it will be amazing.

    And I LOVE your writing challenge. I need to buckle down more so you are inspiring me. I am a procrastinator and I have such a bad tendency of completely denying any approaching deadlines. Must stop!

    And YAY for good moods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to work on the 5th?!?! That is indeed unfortunate. I hope you end up with some kick-ass plans for the rest of the weekend!

    Again, congrats on having your story published!

    My goals definitely do not put yours to shame. They are mostly born out of necessity. Plus, I'm not teaching this summer - in other words, I'm unemployed until the fall semester starts in late August. So I should do something besides read style and running blogs all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought we had Monday off, I think from your post. I'm not coming in anyway (screw the system!) but I thought it was one less vacation day that I had to use. Oh well. I'm off to read your fiction piece... I'm sure it is grand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @VV - I wish I had more deadlines. It's the only time I'm really productive - hence, the self-imposed ones!

    @La Historiadora - Ah, that makes sense. 8 hours of writing a day IS a full time job! One day...

    @Stokat - Aw, I'm sorry I mislead you, but I'm glad your bucking the system. Buck it for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, you don't know me, but somehow I have started reading your blog!

    And I just read the excerpt of your story and it was great. Even though it's a bummer that it is only an excerpt. Anyway, congrats! Must feel great to be published!! How do you decide where to send your work? Do you mostly choose publications that you read yourself, or is it more random than that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Michelle - Thanks for commenting and for reading. I'm glad to "know" you now!

    That link actually is the whole story. It's flash fiction, which is less than 1000 words. I like to think of flash as the most important part of a story and nothing else. :)

    Deciding where to send work is kind of time consuming. I start either by using Duotrope.com to narrow down my options, or seeing where other writers I admire have been published. You have to read the submission guidelines carefully for each journal and make sure they're currently reading submissions and that your work fits their scope. And then send your work out and KEEP SENDING IT! I've been submitting for the last year and I've had three acceptances and about 30 rejections, which is actually a pretty good record!

    Hm, this is getting long. Maybe I'll write a post on it! Thanks for the idea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I feel like a dummy, I saw "abridged" on the next story and for some reason got it in my head that yours was an excerpt before I even read it. Silliness. It is totally complete on its own, I just had a preconceived misconception. Anyway, thanks for the swift response! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read your story. It takes me back! And totally feeling it considering there's a hurricane hitting my home town right now! George's mindset is exactly that of people who have weathered countless storms on the coast. Kudos.

    I wanna share something that a relative posted on fb the other day:

    So my parents live in Port Isabel, right in the crosshairs of Hurricane Alex. I call them today to check on them. My mother tells me they're going to stay at my sister's house who lives in Bayview. Um, it's only about 10-15 miles away from their house! For Port Isabel natives who have seen plenty of hurricanes, this is safe enough distance to escape Alex according to their keen understanding of meteorology and mother nature. My mother then tells me that my father is yelling at her to get a move on. And in my mother's infinite old school, traditional, Mexican woman ways says, "I told your father that we couldn't leave until I made a guisada. I won't leave unless I have food to take to your sister's." What?! Lol. Gotta love her. By the by, they're both fine, staying at my sister's...with food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am stunned. You've managed to create a couple of different conflicts, develop character and have a life and death plot in a thousand words. And it all totally works. Damnnnn, girl. You go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy you commented on my blog so that I could find yours, I love it and am going to add you to go Google Reader as we speak! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just thought of another negative for Friday: Twitter was down like, all day!

    ReplyDelete