Friday, July 09, 2010

friday +/-

Gosh, this has been one of those weeks. I feel like I already covered most of the lows in yesterday's ranty post (and I thank you for the kind and supportive comments - you are all the best ever). To recap, briefly:

- Overwhelmed at work and a tiny bit lost in what I'm doing.
- Hardly any bike rides, due to slick roads from the rain, the cloud cover at 6 AM making it too dark to ride safely, and being forced to skip spin and drink at the bar instead. (And by "forced," I mean when can we do that again?)
- Half finished projects piling up and stressing me out.
- The fact that I am not moving to Greensboro, North Carolina right now, to start an MFA program in creative writing. I still get depressed about that when I think about that for too long, which is why I try and focus on all the good things about Texas instead. But sometimes the longing catches me off guard.

Lest you think this week was all doom and gloom, here are some things that are going right.


+ Yes, you are seeing that correctly. Mr. Pauly Shore is coming to Nacogdoches, and I have a ticket to his comedy show. It's going to be... well... I don't know what to expect, but it's going to be something!
+ I ran twice this week, at four miles a pop, and it felt SO GOOD! Of course, by "good" I mean hot and humid runs that left me dripping with sweat and caused my calves to cry out in pain on every hill. I can't help it; I love running, and I'm so glad to be doing it again!
+ I finished the monthly newsletter for the yoga studio in record time - two hours of writing and formatting on Wednesday morning, and some fine tuning while I was home for lunch today. Even though this writing isn't strictly creative, I am counting towards my July Writing Challenge, as it is basically my one steady gig that pays (free yoga is better than money).
+ Margaritas for Merci's birthday were delicious, made more so by the ladies I sat with at the end of the table.
+ While transitioning to my new job has been harder than I anticipated, this is not at all due to my co-workers. My co-workers are amazing, smart, and lovely people. They are by far the best thing about this job, and you just can't underestimate the importance of a pleasant work environment.
+ Seamus is most definitely the best dog in the world. It's amazing to stop and think about all the joy that dopey dog has brought to my life. I love animals!

Not bad. Plus, all I have to do is make it through today and then it is the weekend, and the weekend makes everything better. How did your week balance out? Share your +'s and -'s in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. Pauly Shore!! That is gonna be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I would love to see Pauly Shore. Dude is hilarious.

    - / this suffocating humidity, not having as much vacation money as I'd hoped, not getting to see my son on vacation (he lives in greensboro actually)

    + / ocean city for vacation!, solid run workouts, Bashful Banana in OC!, running every morning on the boardwalk, getting back down to race weight, vacation in Ocean City!, stumbling onto your blog.

    I hope things turn around for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pauly Shore! Sweeeeet!
    + First dates, long runs, noticing in the tags that you used to do roller derby!
    - The line at the dole office, a confused heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that there were some negatives this week. About the longing, oh wow, do I hear that. Not a fun feeling. But it does fade, after a while. Hang in there.

    You've got some great pluses too! Pauly Shore!?!? Oh wow, when I was a kid Encino Man was one of my favorite movies. I hope you have fun!

    And YAY for Seamus! He makes me smile, too. Dogs are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Popping back in to say how nice you all are. My weekend revived me for sure, as did your comments. <3

    ReplyDelete